Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

john english
KG Regular

Hi Swiss Chard. is the root edible? If so how is it cooked,
:?:
john
Tigger
KG Regular

I don't think it is. Usually you cook the stems as you would asparagus and the leaves as you would spinach.
alan refail
KG Regular

John

Edible - but not usually eaten. Being Beta vulgaris it may taste like its cousin beetroot - but is probably fairly tough. Try boiling it; no harm in experimenting.
Lurganspade
KG Regular

Grew it a few years ago,after seeing some one recommend it on a TV gardening programme!

If that's a vegetable, Well!!!

Total waste of space and effort!

looked very nice; mind!

Cheers
Buy land, they do not make it anymore!
Chantal
KG Regular

I love the stuff :D
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Lurganspade
KG Regular

Chantal wrote:I love the stuff :D

That was quick!

Cheers
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Lurganspade,
I suspect that the programme you saw only told you how to plant Swiss Chard but failed to explain the management regime that you should follow to get the very best out of a wonderful plant.
If you were eating the hoary old leaves then I can understand why you disliked it.
Only the young tender leaves should be used and unless you eat it regularly you will have plenty of old inedible leaves. These should be removed and composted and very soon there will be plenty of young very edible leaves about.
I grow Swiss Chard in two ways. For the plants that are to be planted into the row I sow in modules and simply plant out when old enough to do so.
The second method is to sow direct in rows quite closely spaced (about an inch) and as they grow start picking them when they are about 4" high.
You simply pull the entire plant and nip off the roots, wash and steam. I make a great many sowings each year and not too many at a time. It is really a case of as you about to start picking one row you plant the next and so on. The joy of Swiss Chard is that it does not have the same concentration of Oxalic Acid that is contained in Spinach leaves and is therefore nowhere as earthy as Spinach.
I suspect that if you were to grow some like my second method you may even come to do a "Chantal".
JB.
Lurganspade
KG Regular

As my Granny used to say to me when I turned my nose up at something!

Hello Johnboy,

Fennel, Runner beans and Swiss Chard Ugh, why waste space growing them, when there are others more worthy of the space.

See you in the kitchen.

Cheers
Johnboy
KG Regular

And as my granny used to say 'There is nothing so queer as folk!'

Hi Lurganspade,
You dislike what I simply adore, Swiss Chard and Runner Beans, but agree with you about Fennel.
Please tell me you like Sprouting Broccoli!!
Tell me please what you really do like?
JB.
Lurganspade
KG Regular

One of the plot holders last year, planted 3 separate rows of 36 plants of runners.

When I asked him why he was planting so many, he said they froze well!

As him and I always share surplus crops, he was forever trying for me to have some of his runners,as he had too many.
He had enough to feed the whole population of The South West, last year, including holiday makers!

As for PSB I planted both white and purple varieties last year. I did not get to pick any as our friendly pigeons landed on the netting and eat and s--t on the plants making them uneatable, this has happened in past years,so no more.
My neighbour fared even worse,he did not net his,and was left with skeleton stalks.
so there you have it!

Cheers
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic