Ripening Kiwi

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Beryl
KG Regular

Am I the only one that has trouble ripening Kiwi?
(bought fruit that is).
Some are very hard and no matter how long I keep them they never ripen. The skins just shrivel and the fruit remains very sharp with a hard core.
I've tried keeping them in the banana bowl - no advantage.
I have noticed fruits coming in from New Zealand are usually fine but from Chille and Greece - hard and bitter.

Would be very grateful for any tips or suggestions.

Thanks.
Beryl.
Anonymous

I think you have given the answer to your problem yourself, ie New Zealand fruits - fine. Chilian/Greek rubbish.

Only buy New Zealand fruits.

valmarg
Chez
KG Regular

Hello Beryl

I have also found the Italian ones are okay, although slightly paler than the NZ ones. I have not tried the Chilean or Greek offerings. I assume you have also tried putting them in a paperbag with an apple, then placing this in the airing cupboard?

If you do get stuck with any you don't want to eat, have a look under Recipes, at 'Kiwis to Tenderise Meat', inspired by your post.
The cow is of the bovine ilk
One end is moo, the other, milk.
Chez
KG Regular

Put it under Cooking Tips in the end!
The cow is of the bovine ilk
One end is moo, the other, milk.
Beryl
KG Regular

Thanks for the tip on the paper bag and apple - no I haven't tried that one, will give it a go and I will definately try the meat tenderiser to.
Thanks again

Beryl.
John
KG Regular

Hello Beryl
I don't know about Kiwi fruit but I think you've touched on a general problem with a lot of supermarket fruit. It is simply picked too early in the hope that it will ripen during the journey through the wholesale markets to the store counters. In fact though it looks colourful on the outside, it can never ripen properly whatever you do to it because it isn't sufficiently mature. Also as it never ever starts to rot, however long you keep it, make me wonder how much fungicide its been laced with. Pears, peaches, apricots, melons and plums seem to suffer from this more than most fruit.

John

PS Has anyone tried growing their own kiwi fruits?
Beryl
KG Regular

[b]Hi John,
I must admit I have considered growing Kiwi as we are very fond of them but from what I have read I think they need a fairly sheltered site and our lottie definately is not. They are vigourus growers and need strong supports. And apparently they don't ripen on the plant and need to be picked and ripened in trays.

I would be interested though to hear if anyone has been successful. Plants are readily available.

Beryl.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic