Sorrell

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

I've grown some sorrell this year for the first time (from seedlings I bought at a plant fair) and am not sure what to expect of these plants going forward.

Will they last me through the winter and into next Spring (like Swiss Chard)as they're still going strong at the moment. Are they normally frost hardy?

Presumably they will then go to seed and I'll need to resow next Spring for new plants?
alan refail
KG Regular

Primrose

Both types of sorrel are hardy perennials, so you should have no problems about them coming up next year.

Rumex scutata (French or Buckler leaved sorrel is very hardy
Rumex acetosa (Common sorrel) is extremely hardy

Let them die down and they will reappear next spring.

More info here
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Colin_M
KG Regular

Hi Primrose, what did you think of your sorrel?

As well as salads, there's a nice recipe for Sorrel & Potato soup which I've made a few times. YOu add the sorrel right at the end, to keep the colour etc. Let me know if you'd like details.

As Alan said, I don't think you need to worry about them not coming back next year. The 2 plants I put in a few years ago have turned into quite a productive patch.

Colin
Primrose
KG Regular

Thank you Alan and Colin. That's very helpful information and it's good to know I won't have to resow my sorrel. I've enjoyed using it, especially the young lemony flavoured leaves in salads, and have also used them in stir fries.

Colin - do please post your soup recipe. We enjoy lots of home-made soups during the winter and it's always nice to try a new one.
Sue
KG Regular

If your sorrel does run to seed Primrose, make sure you cut the flower heads off, or you will have a garden full of the stuff. It also keeps it producing nice young leaves instead of coarse huge ones if you keep the plant well cut back.

Can't remember if you have chickens or not, but if you do, they will go mad for any surplus leaves you get.

Sue :D
Colin_M
KG Regular

Primrose wrote:Colin - do please post your soup recipe. We enjoy lots of home-made soups during the winter and it's always nice to try a new one.

Ok, here it is:
viewtopic.php?t=4853

I've eaten this all through the year and mainly in the Summer. However with the potato, this becomes quite thick & hearty, so is an ideal winter soup.

Colin
Primrose
KG Regular

My two clumps of sorrell have certainly survived the winter well and there still seem to be lots of fresh looking leaves in them. Had some in soup last week, and they also blended well in a Chinese stir fry on Friday.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic