Opening bottled tomatoes

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

mazmezroz
KG Regular

Or should I say, not opening bottled tomatoes! I bottled some last year in kilner style jars from Lakeland. They look lovely, but when I release the the seal with the metal clip there is no way they will open! I have ended up chipping some of the glass on the lid!!!

Help! All my lovely toms and I can't get at 'em! :cry:
pigletwillie
KG Regular

They wont go off then, you must have a good vaccuum in there. Its a case of perseverence I fear.

How did you preserve them by the way as I want to bottle them this year?
Kindest regards Piglet

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind".
Jenny Green
KG Regular

I would try warming them gently in a bowl of warm water. This will increase the pressure inside and bring it closer to the air pressure pushing on the outside. You should then need to use less force to get them open.
John
KG Regular

Hello Mazmezroz
I would run very hot water over the lid and hope to soften the plastic or rubber seal that is probably sticking everything tight together. Do it carefully as a sudden heat shock might crack the glass.
John
Beccy
KG Regular

I know this may seem obvious but have you tried pulling the tab on the sealing ring? If not do that is what it is there for, to break the seal. Snub nose pliers help with getting a good grip.

If you have sorry for teaching you to suck eggs, but it was something I didn't know for ages.
mazmezroz
KG Regular

Thanks everyone. Becky, yes, I did wonder about that! I did have a tentative pull, but to no avail. Might have a more concerted effort. Please don't worry about teaching me to suck eggs!!! have never bottled toms before so it's all a learning experience.

As to how I've bottled them in the first place, they were skinned first, by submerging them in boiling water, then put in the jars with a little water. Then they were cooked on a low heat in the oven (gas mark 1 to 2) for a couple of hours in the sterilised jars (they were sterilised in a hot oven first). They were allowed to cool naturally then stored in a box in a cool area.

They look great, but it's just a matter of gettin' at 'em!!!!
mazmezroz
KG Regular

My clever friend has just warmed it slightly in the microwave (having taken the metal clips off!) and it has opened.
!

Woopidoopidooodahs!
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Mezmaroz,
undo the clip from the jar and place the clip under neath the metal lug on the lid and lever it up using the rest of the clip. This is not an easy thing to describe how to do so I hope that I have been clear enough.
Regards Sally Wright.
mazmezroz
KG Regular

Just so you know, we used the bottled tomatoes in a pasta dish with lamb and they were yummy. Will do more next year methinks, but will know not to prize open jars with a knife!!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic