CHARD

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Compo
KG Regular

Friends at work gave me some chard seeds because they wanted to try it, it is the rainbow variety and now looks like small rhubard, although some is ruby red, some yellow and some green about 12 inch high max, how and when do I:

A. Harvest it?
B. Cook it?
Chantal
KG Regular

Hi Compo

I have rainbow chard in various stages of development and pick a leaf or two off any plant with more than a few leaves whenever I want them. The plants will stand right through the winter; pick smaller leaves for better texture and flavour.

I treat my chard leaves like spinach; just sweat the leaves down in some olive oil or butter and then sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. I chop up the stalks and cook them in the same way, they just take a little longer. I'm sure there are many other ways of cooking chard, but this is simple and very tasty. :D
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
vivienz
KG Regular

Hi Compo,
Sorry for the late reply - been away for a while. I posted on the readers recipes some time ago with a recipe for swiss chard tart - it's worth doing once you have some larger leaves, and it's absolutely scrumptious. If the recipe isn't there, go to the waitrose website and look it up in the recipe section.
Vivien
Primrose
KG Regular

I've grown both the Green and Coloured varieties of Chard and pick a few leaves from each plant when I need them before they get too big and tough, but not enough to denude any plant and halt its production process. It's pretty hardy and if you have enough to keep it going through the winter it will withstand mild frost, bouncing back. I prefer the green varieties for flavour, but Bright Lights are so colourful to grow, and also make an interesting feature mixed in flower borders.
Jules
KG Regular

I am grateful to Compo for this query as I too am growing Swiss Chard for the first time and wondered if it is OK to pick the smaller leaves (and eat them!)now without damaging the plant and stop it from producing larger leaves etc.
It looks as though I'll be OK as long as I don't de-nude the whole plant but if anyone knows differently, I would be most obliged!
Hope it worked for you Compo!
fen not fen
KG Regular

I cut my chard both as small leaves to go in baby salad mixes and as large leaves for cooking. I will completely cut down the plants several times a year and they keep on growing, the worst that will happen is they may put up a flower stalk but you can still use the leaves as they don't go bitter like lettuce does when it flowers.
Gilly C
KG Regular

I have also steamed the stalks and toss in butter or use in a stir fry a most useful veg in the winter months :)
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Gilly,
I use my leaves as Spinach and the chards I make a veg mix of Onion, Leek, Celery, Garlic and the chards chopped up salt, pepper and a little dry mustard and fresh herbs in season. I fry them down and then put in an oven proof dish and pour over a cheese sauce then grated cheese on the top and finish off under the grill until golden brown. I then devour with good old simple home baked wheatmeal bread and butter.
The perfect supper for dining in front of the dreaded box.
JB.
Gilly C
KG Regular

sounds delicious JB will try it, but as for eating in front of the box a big no no , we always sit at the table ! you can hear the TV if absolutly necessary but not see it :wink:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic