Bitter Celeriac

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

George Gray
KG Regular

For the first time this year I managed to grow decent sized celeriac from seed. I have been harvesting it over thelast couple of months. I noticed that after peeling there are som brown areas on it. When cooked these taste bitter whilst the white bits are fine. From the outside when washed the plant looks anf=d feels fine bfrore peeling.
Anyone an idea what the problem could be?
George the Pigman
Beccy
KG Regular

I am probably wrong about this, but I seem to remember reading that celariac suffers from the same pests as parsnips, so it may be the same as the brown rot you can get on them.

I'm sure some one who knows will be along.
Chez
KG Regular

Hello George

We harvested two yesterday, with the exactly the same problem. This is the first year we have grown them and the ones we harvested about a month or so ago, were just fine - large and delicious. Given they are meant to be mulched and covered if left in the ground this long (which we didn't do), we just assumed it was damage from frost/snow(?).

Beccy's comment re parsnips is quite right - I know these get canker (which ours also have), but this appears on the surface only and is usually easily peeled off. Like yours, our celeriac are fine on the outside, but once cut through ruined by these brown patches. Embarrassing for us too, as we gave some to friends of ours and although we have seen them since, they have been very quiet on the celeriac front. I wonder why??
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic