harvesting beetroot

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Granny
KG Regular

I know baby beetroot are delicious when harvested in early summer, but what about now? I've just pulled up all my leftover beetroot to store and have found lots of little ones. Are they worth keeping, ok if eaten now, ok for pickling or shall I just compost them? Any ideas, please.

-----------------
granny
Chez
KG Regular

Hello Granny

It depends on the variety, I think. I've always understood beetroot (generally) to be better smaller and loses sweetness as it gets larger and older. However, we grow a fantastic variety (F1 Red Ace) which grows very large if given room to do so and the flavour remains superb with no loss of sweetness at all. We're still harvesting small and large ones now and they're lovely. What variety are you growing?
The cow is of the bovine ilk
One end is moo, the other, milk.
Granny
KG Regular

Hi Chez,

Very boring, I'm afraid - Boltardy and Detroit globe. I've not been growing veg for very long and haven't really ventured past well known varieties. Will try your Red Ace next year.

Thank you

-------------
granny
Chez
KG Regular

Goodness Granny, not boring at all. Many people grow those varieties quite happily. We only grow Red Ace because it was so highly recommended. Once we'd tried it, simply found it was so good at not losing flavour, we've stuck with it. I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water. Maybe just try a few Red Ace alongside Boltardy and Detroit next year and see if you agree. Of course, you may not. :)

And... I would harvest some of your current selection, cook them up and see what you think. They might be just fine.
Chantal
KG Regular

I'm still pulling and eating beetroot and they're gorgeous.

Last year I covered the beetroot with fleece and continued to eat them until the end of February. I'll be doing the same this year when it gets a bit colder. Oh, mine were Detroit and Boltardy too. :D
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Beryl
KG Regular

I'm still pulling mine to. Small ones don't tend to keep as long once out of the ground - go a bit soft but still usable.

Mine are Detroit Little Ball. (some not so little now)

Beryl.
Tigger
KG Regular

I've still got a row to eat. The last few will probably appear as soup!
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Granny,
beetroot freezes well but does best when whole so baby beets are very suitable for this. Reason is they bleed a lot when thawed if cut up before freezing.
Regards Sally Wright.
Granny
KG Regular

Thanks to all who replied.

My beetroot will get a reprieve from the compost heap then. Good idea to use fleece, I probably don't use it enough. And I didn't know you could freeze beetroot. Do you blanch it first? I don't normally blanch anything from the garden - does this need it?
I'm glad I'm in such good company with my varieties! I expected Detroit Globe to be spherical but they're quite long. Are they normally like that?

----------------------
granny
Lyn
KG Regular

Granny -
If you are freezing the beetroot I think it would be as well to boil it first as you would normally, and then peel, slice and freeze it. You just then thaw it before use. I don't think you can just freeze it raw, but I may be wrong.
Regards, Lyn
Chez
KG Regular

We fully cook beetroot before freezing. Once cooked, we grate it, then freeze in small portions, for use as a hot vegetable. As Lyn says, it just needs thawing (and/or heating) before eating. The good thing about grating, is even large beetroot can be used. We eat it sliced on sandwiches too, but haven't tried freezing it as slices. Good idea!
Primrose
KG Regular

We love freshly cooked beetroot and have a small bucketful waiting to be eaten but find they do have a dire lazative effect if eaten in generous quantities as any one time. Does anybody has an antidote to this, (other than eating plaster of Paris ??)
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Just out of interest, does anyone else grow cylindra, as the name suggests it's a cylindrical beetroot, and can be harvested over a lond period.
It can be harvested when quite small or allowed to get very large, without getting tough or losing it's taste. :?:
My dear Primrose, i was going to suggest adult nappies for your problem with eating vast quantities of beetoot, but i suppose these would be inappropriate when you are clambering in and out of skips, or when you are barrowing manure off your drive, when you are scantily clad so to speak. :shock: :D :wink:
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Arnie
KG Regular

Hi oldherbaceous,

I grow Cylindra for pickling purpose's as they are so easy to boil and slice, also grew Moneta which when picked early are excellent. I still have a row of Cylindra in, which I will be lifting this weekend.

Kind Regards

Kevin :wink:
Primrose
KG Regular

Dear OH,
What an excellent memory you have for recalling my misdemeanours! However, think I'll save the adult nappies until I collect my zimmer frame. Then I can go into my geniatric stage with all guns blazing (so to speak!)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic