which is the sweetest/best tasting,variety of tomato ?

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

KMARKSnr
KG Regular

Hi all,
I grew gardeners delight this year,and was impressed with its vigour,and its flavour,- are there any better ?

Regards,
Mark
I`m not "young enough"to know everything!
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Mark,
To my mind Gardeners Delight has a delightful flavour and I have grown them for many years.
They somehow suit my taste but I feel sure there will be many many postings saying that their choice is probably better. I think that you must grow quite a few varieties to to form the right conclusion.
I have done this over many years and I still come back to GD.
JB.
Chantal
KG Regular

For cherry tomatoes I've yet to find anything to match Sungold. I tried a Gardener's Delight from a neighbour's plot last week and it was good, until I picked a Sungold. Sungold was in a different league. 8)
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Garlic_Guy
KG Regular

I second Chantal's recommendation.

I love the taste of Sungold - I find it makes other tomatoes seem a bit bland and flabby by comparison. I also like the different colour - nice to have a bit of variety.

Lastly, I never seem to have any trouble getting it to grow and produce a good steady volume of fruit over a reasonably long period.
Colin
Somewhere on a weedy allotment near Bristol
http://www.pbase.com/cmalsingh/garden
chrissy
KG Regular

I third that. Every year I try a new variety, (as well as not instead of) just to check, but nothing's come close.
mandylew
KG Regular

sungold for me too, although i'm also a fan of tropical ruby, firmer texture mini plum but nice and sweet, my sungold seem to split easily.

Mandy
Chantal
KG Regular

Sungold are very prone to splitting when picked but if you pick with a little stalk on then this happens far far less. :D
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Deb P
KG Regular

Chantal wrote:Sungold are very prone to splitting when picked but if you pick with a little stalk on then this happens far far less. :D

Mine keep splitting on the plants (greenhouse and outdoor) before I have a chance to touch them!!! :cry:
Allan
KG Regular

Of the more usual varieties we have to look at the small and medium cherries. If it is pure sweetness that is your criterion then the obvious choice is Sungold or its lookalike Sunset. However for strong tomato-type flavour I have been growing Supersweet 100. Unfortunately the original supplier Kings Seeds has deferred from selling it now it is not on the UK list and I have had seeds from two other sources with very mixed results. If one looks at Gardeners Delight, that rarity these days inasmuch as it is open pollinated and not F1, opinions vary somewhat which may be understandable if the seeds are not from a common source, even those that I grew this year seem to have given quite different results at different times so I shall do a side-by-side comparison from various seed sources in the coming season and see if I can make sense of it. My thought is to grow Gardeners Delight, if what you get suits you then save your own seeds which is easily done.
If I wanted the best overall flavour of any tomato that I have tried I would grow the beefsteak Black Krim alias Black Russian and be prepared for weak and splitting skins.
Lastly the assessment of tomato flavour is very personal and opinions differ widely.
Allan
madasafish
KG Regular

I have been growing Nicholaevna Pink Tomato from

http://www.seedfest.co.uk/about/about.h ... aevna-pink

They are the sweeest large beefsteak tomato I have found. This year average weight was just under 15ounces per tomato.. they are superb either raw, microwaved, fried or in soup..

Grown them for three years so far and no problems..
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic