Butternut Squash

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Chantal
KG Regular

When should I harvest my butternet squash? They're getting to be about the size they sell them in the shops but they're still a sort of green colour. Do I go for time, size or skin colour?
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
peter
KG Regular

Skin colour every time Chantal. :shock:

If you can leave them till the first frost nips the leaves then that is best. :D

Then put them somewhere dry, sunny, but not too hot, to cure the skin further, before storing cool, dry, dark and frost-free. :D
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Chantal,
all squashes intended for storage need to be left until the first light frost of Autumn before picking. Unless that is the rain starts again or the plant has died and gone crispy. To aid ripening on the plant lift the squash off the ground onto a piece of carpet or straw and cut away any leaves that are shading the fruit this will discourage the slugs and improve the skin colour. If they have to be cut while the plant is still green then the hardness and colour of the stalk will tell you if the fruit is ripe. Unripe and green can be cut with a knife or scissors; ripe and brown will need secateurs.
Once they are cut they need to be put in a sunny, dry place to harden the rind for a month or so before storage. For long term storage the place needs to be dry and at least 5 centigrade. The spare bedroom on some old towels is my usual stowage place. Handle at all stages as though they are fine china as any dent, nick or scratch can be enough to start them rotting.
Regards Sally Wright.
Chantal
KG Regular

Thanks as always guys. :D
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
peter
KG Regular

sally wright wrote:Dear Chantal,
all squashes intended for storage need to be left until the first light frost of Autumn before picking. Unless that is the rain starts again or the plant has died and gone crispy. ........Regards Sally Wright.

One Peter and his dog went to mow an allotment path and found that two areas of their Squash patch had died and gone crispy. :evil: So while the dog got on with the mowing the Peter had to go and get a wheelbarrow for ten Crown Prince and half a dozen Vegetable Spaggetti. The rest of the patch is still lush and green and hiding the fruits from prying eyes, for the moment anyway.

There was a lovely layered mist lying over the site this morning when I went to catch my train, so I gues our frost pocket is living true to type. :roll:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

mazmezroz
KG Regular

My b/nut squashes are quite small yet, and they are a pale yellow colour. Are they OK? The plant isn't dry and crispy!!!!!

Can you harvest them now if you want to??? In other words will they taste okay?
peter
KG Regular

The nearer they are to the colour of the ones in the supermarket the better. They keep longer and taste better. :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic