Making apple juice

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Arkhive
KG Regular

Hi, I'm new to this forum, so please forgive me if this has been addressed before - could not find it on a quick look!
My problem is this - we have a small orchard that is very productive (cookers and eaters different varieties), and we have quite a good fruit juice press (gift), and a bucket with lid and drill attachment for pulping fruit before pressing it. Now the issue - the juice tastes superb, but it looks like mud - very brown colour - I guess from oxidisation. We've tried doing it as quickly as possible and using lemon juice on the pulped apples, but seemingly to no avail. Does anyone know how we can get clear(er) juice, please? Do we have to cook the fruit first?
Thanks! :?
[/b]
Garlic_Guy
KG Regular

Why not mix some yeast with it, let it ferment and settle. At the point it should start becoming much clearer! It'll also keep without refrigeration.

I'd be happy to help if you're anywhere near Bristol.
Colin
Somewhere on a weedy allotment near Bristol
http://www.pbase.com/cmalsingh/garden
pillbug
KG Regular

We are doing the same thing and have found that it is the initial juice that is that brown sludgy stuff so if you screw the press a little bit then wait until it stops,carry on like this so you can just save the clear for juice.There is probably a better way.If you do make cider you just put into demijohns,no yeast needed as it is naturally on the apple skins but it does eventually clear and you don`t need to freeze!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic