What have I grown ???

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Trevor Holloway
KG Regular

I have been growing my first squashes but bought them from the school fete for 50p each as "Winter squash".
Can anyone identify them and tell me when will I know if they are ready ?
Thanks[img][img]http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l297/trevor850/IMG_2571.jpg[/img]
Image[/img]
John
KG Regular

Hello Trevor
Well done - things are looking really good in your squash department!
These are butternut type squashes - and as you were told they are a winter squash. They are not ripe yet though. They should carry on growing a bit more then ripen up to a pale yellow and the skin will harden up.
I would try to get them off the soil a bit - maybe resting on a tile, small plank of wood or some straw. This will help them shape up, ripen up properly and keeps pests away. Move them VERY carefully though you don't want to separate them from the vine just yet!

John
peter
KG Regular

John, is right, but I would also suggest removing a few strategic leaves to allow the sun to hit the fruit.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Wellie
KG Regular

Trevor,

I agree wholeheartedly with that diagnosis, as mine looked identical, and it did say Butternut on the seed packet !

The ones I've got that are growing at ground level, I've done exactly that, and slipped an old quarry tile underneath to keep it off the soil, and allow it to ripen without rotting.

When they ARE as ripe as they are going to get in our climate before the frosts set in, I cut them with it's own stem in tact AND like two handlebars either side of that. So effectively it looks like a 'T'. I think it was one of the KG peeps advised that as it seems to help them store better ?

How many fruits did you manage to get from one plant so far?
What sunshine is to flowers, smiles are to humanity. The good they do is inconceivable....
Trevor Holloway
KG Regular

Many thanks for the words of encouragement.

The plant with the fat one has a couple of small "fruits" on and several flowers on. The other plant with the bell shaped fruit has 5-6 slightly smaller other ones on.

Thanks for the tip on getting them off the ground - I picked up 150/200 used roof tiles from Freecycle so they will be used.

Also I will remove a few leaves to give them some light (if not sun in this weather).

At this rate in a few months time I will be asking for recipies !
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic