Beans for hot weather

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

Most of my runner bean flowers failed to set in July because of the heatwave but now the weather is getting cooler some are coming.
However, for the first time this year I grew some Thompson & Morgan Blauhilde purple podded climbing beans. They didn't fail in the heat at all and are still cropping prolifically. Does anybody else have any recommendations for climbing beans in case we have another heatwave next year?
Chantal
KG Regular

My Blue Lake French beans are now cropping well as opposed to all the other French beans and the runner beans. :D
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
John
KG Regular

Hello Primrose
I think 'Cobra' is the one against which all the others should be judged. Its early and produces masses of dark green stringless pods. I've grown it for several years and it's never let me down, whatever type of summer we've had. This year, for a change though, I have grown 'Neckar Queen' and 'Sultana'. They've cropped well but I'll be back with 'Cobra' next year.
In general this type of bean is self-pollinating. As it doesn't have to rely on insects to do the necessary business, it will always set well.
John
Carole B.
KG Regular

Cherokee Trail of Tears has out-beaned Cobra for me this year,they've cropped well all summer and are still going strong.They are not such a forgiving bean of late picking as Cobra though,you pick them smaller or they will be stringy.I've had Cobra beans nearly 12" long that are just as good as small ones.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic