freezing carrots

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

tracie
KG Regular

Has anybody frozen carrots before, do they still taste ok?, do you blance them first?, do you slice or freeze whole?. I dont know if to leave them in or pull up them all up.

If anybody can help that would be brill. Thanks :D
who needs the gym when you have an allotment
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Tracie, i don't know about the freezing bit, maybe Birds eye could help you there. :wink:
I always store some late carrots in large tubs of sand, they last me through to the next early crop.

Kind regards Old Herbaceous.

Theres no fool like an old fool.
pillbug
KG Regular

We`ve frozen carrots,at £2.50 for 10kg from our local veg.shop they are too many to eat before they turn,so we peel and slice lengthways pop into bags and freeze.They seem to freeze well,I don`t know if the flavour is affected as I`ve never frozen straight from the garden and shop bought have already lost that unique taste.
tracie
KG Regular

Thanks for your replys re frozen carrots, think I will try to freeze some and also I will try storeing some in sand and see which I think works best 8)
who needs the gym when you have an allotment
John
KG Regular

Hello Tracie

Our porcine forum member, Piglet and his DW, Piglette, have been busy freezing carrots so they might be able to help you!

John
vivie veg
KG Regular

One year I froze carrots by giving them a 2 minute blanch first and was complaining about the time and mess to one of my work collegues, she informed me that you did not have to blanch them first, so I stopped the blanching...it just takes a little longer to cook.

I also don't bother to peel the carrots before cutting and bagging them, as I know that my own grown ones have no nasty chemicals on them, I just give them a good wash with the jet setting on the hose pipe.
I don't suffer from insanity .... I enjoy it!

Vivianne
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic