Couldn't give a fig?

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Mr Potato Head

Well, the broomstick that we inherited 2 years ago has not only revealed itself to be a rather fine little fig tree, but has actually produced some figs (well, three) they're currently still on the branch... so what I want to know is, when (or if) I should cut them off, and what's the best way to ripen them for eating! :D
peter
KG Regular

Mr PH, how large are your figs?

I ask because next years figs will be on the tree now(ish) as diddy ones.

Brown Turkey changed colour somewhat from bright green to aquiring a reddy-brown flush, which was when my Dad used to pick his. They were the size of a large hens egg I think.

I think Dad used to ripen them by leaving them in a sunny spot in the house.

He used to have a desk in his bedroom covered with pears in the autumn, which were inspected twice daily for ripeness. :)

Hope that helps.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear P/H,
the figs will be ripe during the last two weeks of July and the first two weeks of August if it is an outdoor fig.
The figs will change colour going to a brownish green and the hole at the end of the fig will enlarge, but the best indicator of ripeness is touch. The fig will go soft and feel flabby, I don't know of a better way to describe it but that is what it feels like to me.
It is one of the benefits of working where I do that I get to sit under the fig tree on a hot summer's day and eat figs. It does not happen every year so it is a really special time when it does. I do however have to be alert that my boss the head gardener does not spot me skiving!
Regards Sally Wright.
Regards Sally Wright.
Mr Potato Head

Thanks guys... sadly, the tree isn't quite big enough to sit under (i've been deliberately constraining its roots) but I think my figs are nearly ready for eating! :?
sprout
KG Regular

sounds idyllic sally :D
we have a 'wild' fig tree on our Cambridgeshire allotments, which is completely neglected and growing like topsy in the communal parking area. The fruits have reached a good size, so I'm waiting for the 'flabby' stage. I am the only plotholder who eats these 'wild' figs, fingers crossed it stays that way :roll: :D
jane E
KG Regular

we've inherited a good sized fig tree. Our first year the figs never ripened. Last year we had a good many which turned brown. They do it very suddenly, so watch it carefully.
Piglet
KG Regular

Ph, we have a fig tree outside and we just leave them on the tree. They will change colour as Peter says and feel softer. There is no need to cut them from the tree to ripen but as Jane says watch them as they all of a sudden ripen ready to eat.

Last year when we planted ours we had 5 figs to eat and this year we have a couple of dozen coming along nicely.
Kindest Regards, Piglet

http://pigletsplots.blogspot.com/
sprout
KG Regular

We pulled our first dozen nice ripe brown ones off the tree yesterday - about half had been raided by sharp little beaks, but we ate them anyway :shock: :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic