Blanching before freezing.

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

I,ve always blanched my beans and other veg before freezing. I know somebody who never does, declares it a waste of time and says her vegs still stay frozen in good condition for long periods of time,

Would be interested to have your point of view.
Think I must find room somewhere in freezer for one small bag of unblanched beans and do a comparison. What would be a reasonable test period? Six months?
Monika
KG Regular

I have always blanched all my vegetables other than courgettes which I just slice and freeze and use in soups. It does ensure, I think, that the frozen food is ok for 12 months, until the new fresh stuff is available. I would not keep unblanched frozen vegetables for more than six months. BUT I may just be overcautious and they would probably keep much longer!!!!
Westi
KG Regular

I don't blanch as was told that because of our fast freeze option it freezes the veg so quickly before there is any damage to the plant cells which is what changes the taste & texture & keeping time. It is well quick, I just wash & prep & pop it on a tray in the fast freeze drawer & it is frozen in way under 1/2hr, then I bag it, date it & store it in one of the other drawers.

I really like those reusable silicone freezer bags as no chance of frost damage & as everything is stored flat, there is so much more room. Mine keep for near enough 12 months, dependent on my urge for beans out of season of course!
Westi
Stephen
KG Regular

I have always blanched beans. If they are OK for a few months without doing so, so much the better.
Cherry tomatoes I have frozen whole but as they reduce to pulp on defrosting it may be more economical on space to reduce them to pulp beforehand.
Otherwise I mostly freeze soft fruit. I'm not going to freeze plums in the future as they discolour badly.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Primrose
KG Regular

Agree Stephen, I,ve often frozen cherry tomatoes whole but that practice is rather a luxury unless freezer space is unlimited. As you say, probably better to pulp as they go to mush anyway once frozen. Guess its a time issue really at the time they,re picked.

I must confess, a quick supper of simmered freshly picked frozen tomatoes with some grated cheese or a rasher or bacon is always a tasty snack and so much nicer than the tinned varieties.
robo
KG Regular

The only thing I freeze is tomatoes, I like them on toast or make soup with them in the middle of winter
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic