Stored Spuds

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

john english
KG Regular

Any ideas as to the reason that my stored spuds are sprouting in their bags (potato bags from our local chippie) Did I store them to early Sept) or could it be the warm autumn?
John
John
KG Regular

Hello John
What variety of potato do you have? Earlies and second earlies do not store well as their dormancy is easily broken and they will sprout all too soon when given half a chance.
Maincrop pots should store well but if they are too warm they'll also start sprouting. They are best stored as cool and dark as possible but beware of frosts. Remember to keep them dark - paper potato sacks are not light proof.
John
john english
KG Regular

The variety is Accent From Marshalls, My Victoria are fine

John
John
KG Regular

Hello again John
I think you have given the answer to your question. Accent is an early and Victoria is a maincrop variety. In fact Victoria is noted for its good storage.
The only only thing you can do is to keep eating the Accent and save the Victoria for later!

John

PS Its never worth growing more earlies than you can realistically eat during the season as they just don't store well.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

John English. re storing spuds, I use proper potato sacks, you can buy them from "Marshalls", though I found them too thin, I solved the problem by putting one sack inside the other. You can occasionally come across the heavy duty sacks at boot fairs. [the memsahibs job] Shallot Man
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic