PEAthetic Pea Crop

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Arnie
KG Regular

I spent yesterday cropping my Alderman pea's and boy were they pathetic worse crop of peas I have ever had :x :x :x :x and to make matter worse I used pea & bean netting Never ever ever again will I use it :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: it has to be the most obnoxious piece of kit a gardener could use :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: HATE The Stuff :shock: :shock:.

I am ok now had a lay down in a dark room :) :) :) :) :) :) Does anyone agree that Pea & Bean Netting is made to mess your day up big time :D

Cheers Arnie 8)
I've learned.... That the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am.
Monika
KG Regular

Oh, dear ....... We used pea and bean netting in the dim and distant past and were not impressed. Bamboo canes and string for the climbing beans for us now and buddleia cuttings for the peas every year.
Kayburton
KG Regular

We, too, once tried the net, it defended our season and then at the end of the season they threw it out along with the already dried pea shoots. The next year they made something like a grid with their own hands. They dug in 2 pillars, stretched the wire vertically and horizontally. Between horizontal lines there are somewhere 10-12 centimeters, and between vertical lines - about 22-25. Not strictly measured, so by eye, so that it is about the same. This design is much more comfortable and durable. No more idiotic nets.
robo
KG Regular

I use the stuff you see when usually the council dig the pavement up it’s rather strange looking on the plot but works great ,when the season is over I start at one end and roll it up easy stored for the next season
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I used it once many years ago, Arnie, tried getting the haulms off but, gave up and burnt the lot...
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
vivienz
KG Regular

Nasty stuff, more trouble than it's worth. I grew a short riw of mange tout outside earlier this year and used some of the netting that I found hiding after we moved house. It's destined for the bonfire on November 5th.
robo
KG Regular

It’s very similar to the netting the illegal fishers use these days no that’s not quite right they are also used by the professionals they call it gill netting it’s one reason our fish stocks are so low
Stephen
KG Regular

In general, I find most netting a right bu88er to deal with, it is absolutely essential but whether you are putting it out, walking around it, trying to get it off or just folding it away, it is always a pain.
I have decided that for most crops I will use the ultrafine mesh which is the easiest material to deal with.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic