How do I know when my cucumbers are ripe?

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

vivienz
KG Regular

Along with the tomatoes, my cucumbers lost their labels early on in the year; I grew 2 different varieties (possibly 3, it's all so long ago now) and then was given a couple by a neighbour. One of them has a very forthright specimen, currently about 8" long in old money. I think it may be one of the patio snacker or Chinese snake varieties, but who knows?!
Anyhow, the top nearest the stalk is smooth and green and further down in gets paler and bumpier. Can I eat it yet? Is there a big flavour or texture consequence to picking too young (e.g. green tomato) or is it more like a courgette and it's just smaller?
Geoff
KG Regular

When they develop the plastic skin I think from something I saw on TV once.

The one you have sounds like a variety that needs pollinating but hasn't been, it makes them develop unevenly. It's so long since I grew anything but the all female F1s that I can't remember if ones in this state are worth eating.
vivienz
KG Regular

Okay, thanks Geoff. I shall pick, eat and report back.
Westi
KG Regular

Just try it! Might be one of the neighbours offerings that are outdoor which are more spiny or bumpier or you missed the opportunity to get a smaller one! It's gonna be edible either way & not kill you! I hate loosing my labels on things, although I technically I don't loose them, one of the cats likes to assist me & the little white sticks are a bit tempting! Well that's on a good day, sometimes she just needs to toss the whole lot off the shelve to get a cosy spot to have a nap! :)
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic