Leek help, please

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Stravaig
KG Regular

I asked husband to buy leeks and I would prep, cook and freeze them. Handy for when we need them - we do this with quite a lot of veg, plus make our own ready meals. But he's bought rather a lot more than I'd have liked and we're a bit short of freezer space right now. That's because I cook more food than he'd probably have liked. :wink:

What can I do with these leeks? We have plastic sheds on the roof terrace plus plenty of plastic storage boxes. I'm thinking maybe I could wrap the leeks in something (kitchen roll, a towel?) and store them outside for maybe a week or more until I have the energy and the freezer space to deal with them. I don't really want to just give them away, which I suppose is another possibility but we are currently being shafted on several sides right now and I'd prefer to conserve our resources rather than just giving away our stuff.

What do you think?

Thanks in adavance.
Colin2016
KG Regular

If the roots are still on them you could replant them, but I suspect they have been removed.

I hear we are in for a cold spell so maybe storing them out side will help.
Westi
KG Regular

If your roof terrace has a non-sunny spot then it would probably be OK to store out there as you have got lucky with the forthcoming cold snap. If there is any sign of root you could just plant them in a bucket of soil. I just move mine on the plot if any left when I need that bed, called healing in where you literally re-bury them in another spot. They can be close together & they will happily sit there for quite a while until the warmth & sun triggers them to flower.
Westi
Stravaig
KG Regular

Many thanks, Colin. They do sort of have roots on them, ie more like a crew cut than hair. I don't really think they'd be very plantable. Well, of course I could plant them, I just don't think it would do any good. :D
I could plant a book but I don't think it would grow into a library.

Cold spell? Yeah, I'd been unaware of that until reading about it on this forum. Meanwhile, I've wrapped them in a kitchen towel and shoved them into the fridge. It'll have to do for now. I've also lined up ingredients to make leek and potato soup (too tired today).

In Asia they don't have soup like we usually do, ie a starter for a meal. They have it alongside any other dishes being served (ie "family style"). They also quite often have soup for breakfast. I love that idea, especially in a UK winter. If you have to go out on a cold or freezing day, what better personal central heating could you have than a bowl of hot soup inside you for breakfast?
Stravaig
KG Regular

Thanks, Westi! It's not really a big enough deal to try replanting them. I guess they'll be OK outside in this cold snap. Presumably inside a plastic shed won't be sunny.

I'd normally have just made something with them but we are fighting with such shenanigans with packers and various other incompetent people and I'm all stressed out that it's just easier to drink a few glasses of wine, flick through my many cookbooks, and try not to think about what I should be dealing with today.
Westi
KG Regular

You have the best solution in my opinion Stravaig! Prioritise what to really worry about which is sorting out your thieving removals company! Might need more wine though! :)
Westi
Stravaig
KG Regular

Apart from all the hassles (and expense) of two evacs, this removals fiasco has left us several thousands of quid out of pocket. We've not been consulted nor even informed about what's happened to our belongings. Eventually we've managed to establish that in some cases apparently they've been taken by the packers, who have never accounted for any of it, in our view that's theft.

This is very stressful on top of everything else. And it's quite distressing trying to go through it all to document what's happened either to try to invoice or claim for it or get help in some way. And getting information is like trying to get blood out of a stone - and everyone puts the blame on someone else.

Of course I understand that when you vacate a property if you leave stuff behind it usually means that you don't want it. But these circumstances are different. We were evac'd at short notice and obviously had to leave nearly everything behind. A year later we are now going through the packing and shipping process without being consulted, informed, and being shafted (and I believe lied to) by most parties involved.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic