How long can I harvest my asparagus?

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

vivienz
KG Regular

This is year 3 for my asparagus bed and it's been cropping heavily for about 2 or 3 weeks now and I've been harvesting the spears for the first time. The first flush seems to be coming to an end. Should I stop cutting the spears now, or can I have more once another flush comes along?

The bed has been well fed and treated lovingly but as much as the crop is wonderful, I don't want to jeopardise future ones. Does anyone have any guidance for me, please?
Westi
KG Regular

Hi vivenz!

At year 3 it is considered mature enough to harvest to the end of May. It should still be putting up spears though so you have several at different stages of growth so you get a continuous harvest, not all at once. I have spears just breaking through, some fine but little, & some huge but still tight. I also have some trying to turn to fronds which I pulled today as if they show in too much number it will trigger the plant to think it's time for all of them to. The later was advice from another plot holder a few years back which kind of made sense so I do it & seems OK.

They like a seaweed feed a couple of times a year, just the bought stuff, not an opportunity to take time off & get your bikini on!
Westi
vivienz
KG Regular

Thanks, Westi, that's just the sort of advice I was after. I had left a couple of skinny ones to go frondy, thinking I might be being kind to it, but I shall snip them off first thing in the morning.
I'm still in my wooly jumpers with northerly breeze; bikinis are a distant memory for decades! I'm sure the bed will manage with some tasty north dorset cow poo.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic