Drying winter squash seeds for eating

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

Cut open the first winter squash today (Crown Prince) and it contained so many seeds I want to have a first attempt at drying and/or roasting them for eating/snacking.

Can anybody give me an Idiot's Guide please on how best to go about this. Thanks
peter
KG Regular

Primrose, I tried that once, there wasn't enough edible content to be worthwhile, there are varieties bred for seed as a crop.

Let us know how it goes.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Primrose
KG Regular

Peter, i didn,t know that there were special varieties grown for their seed harvesting. I always wonder what happens to all the wasted flesh and seeds in these communal farm shop type pumpkin carving sessions at Halloween.
i like these types of seeds mixed into muesli or sprinkled on ice cream, yoghurt etc so thought it would be nice to try some home preserved ones.
Westi
KG Regular

I also thought the same Primrose & tried roasting the seeds from the ones I harvested. Total disaster & nearly lost a tooth! (Just a slight exaggeration)! I didn't once consider there would be specific varieties, but I find myself looking for varieties with small seed cavities as I like the flesh, so of course if your business was growing for seed you would be looking for huge seed cavities & little flesh! Doh!
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic