Onions.

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Stephen
KG Regular

It is a long while since I grew onions. That was a wet year, if I remember correctly and they suffered white onion rot (that's what I thought it was).
I'm going to give them another go.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sludge
KG Regular

I follow my spuds with onions and leeks having mucked heavily for the spuds. I sow saved seed (Bedfordshire Champion) individually in trays in the greenhouse in late February, I made a peg board affair to press into the compost to help evenly sow the seed. I transplant them into the allotment when they have out grown the tray around late March early April after hardening them off, at about a small hand span apart, washing the roots out in a bucket of water helps separate them and water in dry spells until they are established. I‘ve also sown directly into the soil in late February but I used a lot more seed and you have to look after them for an extra month or two. Since I’ve been saving my own seed I’ve had excellent results, with bought seed I had poor germination and trouble with them going to seed, with sets they’d also go to seed but would also get white rot and in storage, neck rot. I get one or two small ones but they are generally tennis ball size which going by the photographs in seed catalogues is large for that variety.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

A warm welcome to the forum, Sludge and a good imformative post.......
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Sludge
KG Regular

Thank you, but after re reading my post it seems a bit presumptuous for my third post.
Chantal
KG Regular

There's no need to worry Sludge, if the information is good, no one judges you on how long you have been on here. :D
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Deopolis
KG Regular

Biggest about small apple size, but most about golf ball
Westi
KG Regular

This is great seeing new people reading through old posts & commenting & questioning! We learn from you as well as you embrace the new while we plod along. Mind never, ever going to plant a slice of tomato again, prefer a mix of varieties than just loads of one supermarket one that is a great big thug.

On the subject of onions it is pretty much the same for me, sets weren't great so spent a few years growing from seed but the slimy things decimated them in a blink so hedged my bets & grow both ways. Neither successful unfortunately - I get the odd 'biggin' but making no progress either way! The Red's are particularly tricky & like to bolt by whatever means started.
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic