Elephant garlic

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

My bulbs are a good size and have dried nicely so I used one clove in a stir fry. I've never grown them before so was rather disappointed that it didn't taste or smell of garlic. I know it says they are mild, but I expected it to have some garlic flavour. I'd be pleased to hear comments from others who grow it.
Motherwoman
KG Regular

I've seen it on sale in the Garlic Farm down here on the Isle of Wight, picked it up and given it a good sniff and put it back down again. The smoked garlic always smells divine but doesn't seem to translate that smell into flavour so I stick with the standard garlic.
Primrose
KG Regular

I've grown it for two or three years now and initially bought it thinking they were jumbo size garlic bulbs which gave you more for your buck. We're garlic lovers and I must say I was slightly disappointed in the mild flavour too. I continue growing it because I always seem to have a few spare bulbs left over to plant out for next season but I think I'll probably stick to ordinary garlic once my current supply of bulbs run out.

I think elephant garlic has more a flavour of leek than garlic although of course they all belong to the same family.
Last edited by Primrose on Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Fortunately my normal garlic has produced a good crop so I won't be going short and should have enough left to plant for next year. I'll have to read up on elephant garlic recipes and uses to see if I can get some flavour out of it.
Motherwoman
KG Regular

Perhaps its a case of treating it more like a veg than a flavouring.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Gave up elephant garlic as a waste of time years ago. Far too mild. Not really a garlic.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Recipes suggest roasting the whole bulbs in foil then squeezing out the cooked flesh onto jacket potatoes etc. but there aren't any recipes using it with other things where the flavour would come out as far as I could see. On the other hand it still contains a similar range of nutrients to the rest of the allium family so might be ok for people who don't like the garlic flavour.

It cost me about £7 for one bulb so I want to get my money's worth :D. I might start a little permanent bed using all the little bulbils they produced this year and leave it to its own devices.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

£7 for one bulb !!!! you wuz robbed

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I agree Pa, it was an impulse buy at Harrogate Show.
Muddyboot68
KG Regular

I find the elephant garlic that I planted 2 years ago did have a mild garlic flavor compared to "normal" garlic, I found that they did not grow as large as I thought they would. On harvesting them I missed one and it has grown again and it has got to the size that I expected after the first year. I'm going to grow over two years to see if the flavor improves. I'll let you all know in two years.
Primrose
KG Regular

My elephant garlic this year was pathetic size wise but I had to dig it out a while ago because the leaves were yellowing and dying back anyway and I needed the space for other vegetables. I think Elephant garlic is a bit of a misnomer as it has more the flavour of a leek than garlic and anybody expecting a doubly powerful garlic flavour will be disappointed. In a good year I've grown bulbs the size of apples but I've found that size seems to have no relation to pungency of flavour. However big the bulb it still tastes more like a leek than a garlic bulb. Not really for true garlic lovers I suspect.
Primrose
KG Regular

PLUMPUDDING wrote:. I might start a little permanent bed using all the little bulbils they produced this year and leave it to its own devices.

Over several years I've replanted all the little bulbils produced by elephant garlic and they've either disappeared, or if they've eventually grown they've produced a scrawny stalk the size of a spring onion.
Westi
KG Regular

I've been tempted to grow them but a normal clove or 2 of proper garlic is all I need! Would have them rotting in storage if the size they are supposed to get was actually possible on my sandy plot!
Westi
robo
KG Regular

I've grown them for the last four years , mainly as my eldest daughter likes them this year was not good for elephant garlic as I only got two bulbs out of an expected twelve all my other garlic has done ok
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic