Lowest night temperature for outdoor tomatoes ?

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

I still have loads of green and half ripe tomatoes on my outdoor plants and whilst the days are currently sunny I obviously want to make the most of the sunshine.
But can anybody tell me the lowest night time temperature I should risk before picking the remaining crops and ripening them indoors. i have this debate with myself every year and never seem to get a definitive answer . I seem to have a far bigger crop this year because of the hot summer and just wonder where I'm to store them all as I don t have a greenhouse.

Would covering them over with a net curtain or some fleece delay the potential picking date?
tigerburnie
KG Regular

They say around 15 degrees inside a greenhouse, but I have had 2 nights at 5 degrees and my tommies are still alright and still flowering.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Diane
KG Regular

Mine are still slowly ripening...don't know what the recent night time temperatures have been - except to say that I've had to switch the electric blanket on and wear an extra layer come sundown.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
tigerburnie
KG Regular

You could put some fleece over the plants at night
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Primrose
KG Regular

Tiger. I,m fleecing over my outdoor peppers in pots now at nighttime and think I'll do the same to my best tomatoes. It may just give them a little extra protection. I noticed today, even now at 3 pm, there's a definite nip In the air despite the sunshine.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic