Chillies

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

tigerburnie
KG Regular

My first Cayennes, how do you guys preserve yours, Dried, frozen?
De Cayenne.jpg
De Cayenne.jpg (233.1 KiB) Viewed 8900 times
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
retropants
KG Regular

I pickle mine, sliced. then they are ready to use like fresh whenever you need them.
Primrose
KG Regular

I store all our ripe ones whole in the freezer u til we have enough to cook them down into a paste. This is then stored in a jar in the fridge where it keeps for months, and we can just use a teaspoonful or whatever is needed i recipes without the hassle chopping them up and worrying about accidentally rubbing fingers in eyes., etc.
They do store perfectly whole in bags in the freezer.
Monika
KG Regular

I grow chillies every year, just for the fun of it, but we never eat them. They are all passed to one of our neighbours in exchange for a big box of their apples!
Geoff
KG Regular

Freeze whole, cut up still frozen, no danger.
Colin2016
KG Regular

When you pickle is it just a a case of putting them in pickling vineger once sliced?
retropants
KG Regular

Hi Colin, not quite....I soak them in brine for about 30mins-hour (already sliced) then warm some vinegar with a bit of sugar, and i add mustard seeds too. Heat jars in the oven at 100 for 30 mins, then while still warm, stuff chillies in jars and cover with the warm vinegar. I have found they keep for at least a year like this.
Colin2016
KG Regular

Thanks Retropants. This is the first year I have surplace so will be first time pickling them.
Beryl
KG Regular

I have grown Jalapeno chillies for the first time this year. I don't use them but intend to put most of them on our allotment Michalmas stall when they are red. But a neighbour always preserves them in olive oil. He makes a small hole in the top and drizzles in the oil then packs them into a jars and covers with more oil. The oil takes the flavour and can be used as well. I only have his word for it.

Beryl.
JohnN
KG Regular

I grew chillies by mistake this year (they were plants labelled "sweet pepper"!) but I've made good use of them - the chef at the local pub takes them and I get a few pints of Dark Star bitter in exchange. Oh, I do love barter.
Colin2016
KG Regular

I left the flap up on the plastic greenhouse the other night, in the morning my jalapenos were black I thought they had had it. A couple of days later they are turning red, what a relief.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic