Use your herbs

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I picked a bunch of broad leaved sage today and made some sage tea. Pour boiling water on it in the tea pot and posh it about a bit to help burst the cells. After about 5 minutes drink it with a teaspoon of honey if you like it sweet. It is very good for sore throats , digestion and lots of other things. You can just use it as a gargle too.

Rosemary is also very good for stimulating the brain if you're feeling sluggish in the morning brewed in the same way.

I thought I'd bring this up as I've been rather lazy about using all the lovely herbs I've got planted round the garden apart from picking a bunch of parsley or thyme occasionally.

I've written a reminder to re-site and re plant a new herb bed so they are nearer together and easier to find.

I've let quite a few seed on the rockery as the butterflies and bees like them - marjoram in particular plus hyssop and lavender.
Monika
KG Regular

My mother was a great believer in the use of herbs for self-medication (sage tea for sore throats was one of her regulars!) and, having researched the family history long after her death, I think there may have been a bit of gipsy in her - so that's probably where the herbalist knowledge came from. Fennel, camomile, peppermint, lemon verbena, lemon balm ..... all were used for infusions against minor ailments.

She would also cut a cone-shaped hole into the top of a large white turnip, chop up these shavings with brown sugar, replace them and then stand the turnip on top of an empty jam jar to let the resulting syrup drip into the jar. That was our 'cough mixture' as children.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic