What I harvested today!

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Pawty
KG Regular

I don't have anywhere to store potatoes so I keep them in the ground and harvest when needed - high risk strategy because of slugs and mice (I need one of those cats at the allotment). But they seem to keep away from the pink fir apples. Made delicious oven baked chips from these last night.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (537.11 KiB) Viewed 7741 times
Westi
KG Regular

Some of those are a good size Pawty - congratulations!

Slugs are my nemesis, got to do some research over winter before next years go in as it appears I've got my growing Ok as size was good but not when 3/4 of it goes in the compost full of slug holes!

Westi
Westi
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Enjoy those spuds Pawty, should taste good.

Westi
Our spuds this year were planted in a 60sq mt section of the plot that had had two cubic metres of sharp sand mixed into it 2 years ago to break up some of the clay base

This was the first time since that sand was introduced that potatoes have been grown there and it was highly noticeable how little slug damage we suffered.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I'm just going to get some very late planted Charlotte potatoes, (so will scrape nicely), runner beans, carrots, a parsnip and some curly kale.
So looking forward to dinner tonight. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Westi
KG Regular

Rainbow Chard, kale, a very wee cabbage, 3 courgettes and a handful of berries.

My dahlias are amazing - the last show before a frost, but full of flowers & full of new buds. And full of bees - one was very intent on the bunch I was taking home & tried to follow them into the car. All OK though, used the same flower he liked so much to get him out.

Westi
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

I harvested a few carrots from a concrete trough which were totally carrot-fly free and the taste was so different from the commercially grown supermarket ones. It's really satisfying to eat things you've grown yourself. i have masses of kale still to harvest. I supect we may be growing a little bored with it by the time winter is over though!, I'm hoping the few remaining runner beans I have left growing will survive the imminently dropping overnight temleratures.
peter
KG Regular

Thirty foot row o King Edward.
Very disappointing, riddled with holes loads of unwanted residents and small, not even a flat to the brim barrowful.

Only good spuds I've had this year were Pentland Javelin.
Just had some as steamed 15 mins, then baked with spices dusted on, wedges, delicious cram taste.

Must get my normal Charlotte and Nicola that I failed to secure this year. :(
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
OscarSidcup
KG Regular

Today I harvested a bunch of baby beetroot [cylindra, seeds courtesy of KG mag] which i planted in a large pot near the terrasse. They are currently boiling away, i am pickling them for this winter.
I also harvest a few carrots (2 purple sun, 2 yellowstone and 1 resistafly) which alongside a couple of onions (Paris silverskin) and 2 small cucumbers (Prima Top still going strong outside!) i will also pickle - i just hope the purple sun will not bleed all over the rest. Time will tell.
It's a good thing i like pickles...
Nature is simply amazing
Instagram: @frankinkent
OscarSidcup
KG Regular

ok, if anyone (but me) was in doubt, my red carrots are discolouring in the pickling liquid :roll:

I thought I would share... Looking forward to trying red cucumbers, onions and garlic (oh and orange carrots turned red too!) later this year :mrgreen:

eek!.JPG
eek!.JPG (620.01 KiB) Viewed 7683 times
Nature is simply amazing
Pawty
KG Regular

Hey Oscar, they look really good!

I've never had pickled carrot - do they stay crispy?

I picked a courgette today - mid October! You think you've had the last one and then the plant start producing again.

Also, last of the chArlotte potatoes, kale and picanti peppers.

I had planned a dig day today but we had so much rain last night, it wouldn't have done the ground any good.

Pawty
Westi
KG Regular

I harvested the sweetest little cabbage. I always cut the cabbages & put the cross on the top. From this I always get loose leaves which are nice and tender, but one of last years savoys has given me 3 little tight headed mini cabbages, just enough for 2!

Westi
Westi
OscarSidcup
KG Regular

I honestly have no idea if the carrots will stay crisp - i most wholeheartedly hope so, that is what I am aiming for...
I will let you know around Christmas (can't wait 3 months so setting this milestone as THE one when everything will be ready...) :mrgreen:
Nature is simply amazing
Geoff
KG Regular

IMG_3701_CR.JPG
IMG_3701_CR.JPG (774.41 KiB) Viewed 7584 times
Pawty
KG Regular

Geoff - if I could click on a 'like' button I would.

They look amazing - very jealous!

I see you have crown prince squash. So so delicious but the most filling veg I have ever tried. We were eating ours for a good couple of weeks once we stared!

Pawty
Westi
KG Regular

Geoff - amazing harvest! You must be chuffed indeed! What's those white pumpkins? Are they good to eat? Is the flesh yellow/ orange?

Just because you mentioned how filling they are Pawty, they can keep quite well for some time! If you take out all the seeds then push cling film into the gap right next to the flesh they'll go on for ages. Just cut off thin bits if it dries too much. Also if you cut your chunk off and microwave it for a minute or so it is much easier to cut the skin off!

Westi
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic