Asparagus

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

M11064
KG Regular

I planted asparagus for the first time earlier this year. What should I do with the fawns this Autumn. Should I cut them down to the ground? If so when?
Westi
KG Regular

I chop my down when they go yellow - they've done their job & fed the crown so chop them down. Clear all the weeds out of the bed and top it with well rotted compost - or if you can access it some seaweed. They are a coastal margin plant & it matches their natural habitat.

I'm still trying to redeem myself with seaweed in the car after the crab adventure :oops: , but read an article by Sarah Raven that she throws some dishwasher salt over her asparagus bed so
may try that myself.

Westi
Westi
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Exactly what westi said.

(except I would avoid having to explain how you got crabs in a car :) )

edit early hours 10-11-15
As an afterthought this morning I am wondering why use dish washer salt when you could use calcified seaweed. Can't be much difference in cost surely, calcified seaweed probably a bit more expensive but fit for purpose..
I seem to recall reading somewhere that too much salt is not good on growing grounds.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Asparagus is a coastal plant originally so likes slightly saline growing conditions so will do ok with a seaweed mulch if you have any. I cut mine down when they turn yellow. They are quite late this year.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic