Rat tails

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Pawty
KG Regular

Hi,

I love to grow novelty veg. This year I planted radish rat tails (suttons) . The plant looks nothing like the cover and has no fruit pods. However it does have a huge beet like root. Does anyone if you can eat this?

Many thanks

Paula
Primrose
KG Regular

Alas I can,t help you as I'm afraid I have never heard of them and had to look them up on Google. What an unappetising name though! As a rough guideline I would imagine that if the upper plant of a plant is edible by humans , the roots would probably be too but obviously advisable to get some more sound advice.

Later: i just checked Google again and according to this the roots ARE also edible.

http://www.gardenbetty.com/2013/04/radi ... e-pickles/
Pawty
KG Regular

Thanks primrose. My plants look nothing like the pictures on the Internet. I do wonder if the pack contained the right seeds...... I'll dig out the pack and have another look. If they do taste good, I'll let you know!

Paula
Westi
KG Regular

Interesting! Especially as any old radish can be used. My tip Pawty - just let your cheapo seed ones grow! I often miss my radish opportunities so just pull & compost, but might just leave them for a bit now I've seen this.

I do think the root might be a bit hot when it gets big, but hey - an alternative horseradish? Might be kinder with smoked fish maybe??

Please feed back. :?:

Westi
Westi
Pawty
KG Regular

Hi,

The Edible Garden on BBC2 this morning featured radish seed pods as a tasty peppery snack! Will definitely leave a few in the ground this year and try them.

Pawty
Monika
KG Regular

I have tried eating radish seed pods in the past, Pawty, and was not impressed. But then, I don't like pea shoots either, so it's probably my taste buds rather than than an objective judgment of taste!
Diane
KG Regular

I used to grow these as a Seed Guardian....you are supposed to eat the pods...but they didn't do anything for me either. Really easy to grow though and look unusual. It was a B****r trying to get the seeds out!
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic