New Rasp canes

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

M11064
KG Regular

I planted 3 rasp canes this year for the first time. One died in a couple of months but the other two did well with a small number of rasps being produced. What should I do about pruning now? Should I prune them back hard and if so to what level?
Primrose
KG Regular

My understanding is that only autumn fruiting varieties like Autumn Bliss should be hard pruned back to the ground in winter after fruiting. Am sure somebody on here will give more advice for summer fruiting varieties.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

I have always cut back the early fruiting raspberries to ground level immediately they finish fruiting, leaving the new growth canes untouched as this is where next years fruit will form..

I have only just started growing the later fruiting crop but understand the best time to prune them to ground level is early spring. Fruit will then form on the new growth in the same year.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic