Broad beans and cauliflowers

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Catherine
KG Regular

Broad beans and cauliflowers

Postby Catherine » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:44 pm

Today I picked 3.5 kg broad beans before shelling and had 790g beans. I have also picked 10 cauliflowers heads which are all ready at the same time, they are F1 seeds. Next year I won't be sowing F1 seeds because I didn't realise that they will all be ready at the same time, silly me. I want them ready at different times. This happened last year but I didn't click about the seeds.

Our dwarf beans and climbing beans are really slow to get going this year.
0 x
WestHamRon
KG Regular

Re: Broad beans and cauliflowers

Postby WestHamRon » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:34 pm

Catherine wrote:Today I picked 3.5 kg broad beans before shelling and had 790g beans. I have also picked 10 cauliflowers heads which are all ready at the same time, they are F1 seeds. Next year I won't be sowing F1 seeds because I didn't realise that they will all be ready at the same time, silly me. I want them ready at different times. This happened last year but I didn't click about the seeds.

Our dwarf beans and climbing beans are really slow to get going this year.

Why don't you plant them in succession rather than all at once?
0 x
Catherine
KG Regular

Re: Broad beans and cauliflowers

Postby Catherine » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:52 pm

WHR I do sow in succession, this year I sowed these 10 seeds, not expecting them all to come up. But they did and I have a problem with throwing seedlings away :oops: So I put them all in, closer than the recommended spacings and then sowed some more of a different type of cauli. These are coming ready at different times so they are okay. (I have another 10 caulis getting ready to pick)

Last year I grew a Cauli called Cheesy F1 they have been the best cauli I have ever grown. They were all immaculate, perfectly shaped cauliflowers and all 8 were ready together.

I am not complaining as I just freeze them anyway. I was just saying !
0 x

Return to “Harvesting Q&A”