Storing walnuts

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

I,ve been lucky enough to forage several pounds of walnuts and as the shells are sfill fairly moist, would like to store them, if possible, in a way that preserves the Wet Walnut milky freshness of the kernel, rather than them drying out. Is there a way of doing this by slowing down the drying out lrocess without causing the nuts to rot.?
Motherwoman
KG Regular

Hi Primrose,

Just bringing this post to the surface again, did you find a way of preserving them 'green'?

We're still going on our dried ones. Started eating in Nov and should last till end of Feb.

Motherwoman
Primrose
KG Regular

No MW, I didn't. In the end, because the husks were so messy and turning black I put on a pair of rubber gloves and used a pair of nutcrackers to squeeze the outer green husks until they split open and could be prized off relatively easily.
I still have a number of dry nuts left which are being shared between ourselves and one particularly cheeky squirrel who has cottoned onto the fact and comes several times a day to our patio window, to sit and beg on the plant container immediately outside. He has refined his begging to such a fine "Squirrel Nutkin" art that neither of us have the heart to deny him! :lol: :lol:
Motherwoman
KG Regular

I've noticed a big difference between Juglans regia (ordinary walnut) and Juglans nigra, the black walnut.The regia keeps it's green coat firmly on and is a pain to remove, the nigra peels back the green husk itself, which stays on the tree, and it drops a conveniently peeled version. Nigra also crops much heavier when younger. Know which I'd plant given the choice!

Glad you're still enjoying them.

MW
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic