shelling broad beans

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Beryl
KG Regular

long time since I have grown Broad Beans but decided this year to do some for a change. I had forgotten the time consuming job it is shelling the things and getting all black stained fingers to the bargain. Other than wearing disposable gloves (which I shall do next time) has anyone got a quick and easy way of doing this?

Beryl.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Beryl, i haven't got an easy answer for you, but i must admit i really enjoy shelling Broad Beans, i'm always amazed by the lovely, velvety insides. Probably just as well i do like doing them, as cook won't touch them. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Beryl
KG Regular

You can come and o mine any time OH. It was one of the jobs that John always did. Mind you I think he ate half of them before they got in the pot.
Now I know why I stopped growing them.

Beryl.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Beryl, if you lived in Milton Bryan, i would certainly do them for you.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Motherwoman
KG Regular

I wish I had some to shell, they went in late and are a total loss :(
Primrose
KG Regular

Afraid it's years since I shelled any home grown broad beans but I can't think of any way of eliminating this rather thankless task. I assume you referring to removing the rather tough grey skins from the actual beans themselves rather than just removing them from their pods. We can only be thankful that we don't have to remove the skins from individual peas :lol: It seems to be one of those tasks where you end up with rather little for the huge pile of outer material you started off with. That's why I like tomatoes - you can eat the lot without any fussy preparation !
(I have just picked my first ripe pea pod. Sadly there are so few of them this year due to the poor weather that I suspect they will all be picked and eaten raw in situ as Growers Perks so long periods of shelling will not be an issue.
Motherwoman
KG Regular

I only take them out of the furry pod, don't remove the skin. Think of all that wasted roughage! My Gran had to remove the skins from cooked broad beans when she was in service at the start of the last century and then the cook dressed them in a sauce. Lot of faffing about she called it!
Geoff
KG Regular

If you don't like the tough grey skins grow proper Broad Beans like Masterpiece Green Longpod.
Beryl
KG Regular

Thanks for the offer OH.

No I don't take the skin off only the pod. I do pick them very small tho' the beans are about the size of ring finger nail inside. They are sooo tender then. I've grown Sherwood this year from Plants of Distinction and I have a superb crop. A friend of mine picks them when they are only about 2-3 " long and eats the whole thing pod and all. I tried but not keen. It really is a labour of love though isn't it.

Beryl.
Monika
KG Regular

I am with OH here. I also find the insides of broad beans really lovely. We grow lots of broad beans (because they freeze so well and we like eating them) and when it comes to podding them in bulk, I "set out my stall": a large pile of broad beans on newspaper on the table next to me, a large colander on my lap to receive the podded beans and a large bucket in front of me for the discarded pods. Then I put on some good music and just enjoy the task.

And, Beryl, the black on your fingers washes off very easily, doesn't it?

The pods, by the way, are a great addition to the garden compost. They really bulk it out without being too wet.
Beryl
KG Regular

No Monika, the black didn't wash off easily. It seemed to get under my nails and down the sides, I really had to scrub and scrub. The next lot I will wear disposable gloves.

But all worth it. So far I have 2 large bags in the freezer.

Beryl.
WestHamRon
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:Dear Beryl, if you lived in Milton Bryan, i would certainly do them for you.

I did have a really witty reply about juxtaposition of pronouns, but then remembered this isn't my West Ham Forum. :roll:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic