Forced rhubarb

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Jennifer
KG Regular

I have been reading this forum for quite some time but this is my first posting. Can anyone tell me how long I can pick forced rhubarb for? Do I have to stop after a certain amount of picking so that the crown can recover (similar to picking asparagus)?
We have had this rhubarb for quite a few years and never used it as it was so unpalateable. However last year at Malvern we purchased arhubarb forcer and it has certainly worked brilliantly. Long pink stalks of realy delicious rhubarb. I wouldn't want to lose it now by overpicking it.
I look forward to your replies.
Jennifer.
John
KG Regular

Hello and welcome Jennifer
You'll really just have to follow your own judgement on this one. It depends a lot on how big the crown is and how vigorous your variety is. Generally there is a good flush of strong pink stalks at first then these are followed by fewer thinner ones - this second stage is the time to uncover the plants. Give the crown a good feed and a thorough watering and it should recover well.
Its usual to give the plant a rest the following year and then force again in the year after. Ideally if you have several crowns, half of them can be forced each year so that you have a supply of stalks every year.
I've got a vigorous variety 'Stockbridge Arrow' though and I force it every year without any problems.

John

PS I use my 'Dalek' compost bin for forcing - not quite what the council had in mind - but it works well.
PPS Although it's always called 'forcing' strictly speaking it is 'blanching' i.e. simply excluding the light from the new growth. Forcing involving digging up the roots and keeping them warm in the dark to get really early pickings.
Jennifer
KG Regular

Thanks for the info John. I think we have just about got to the end of the first flush, so it is probably time to take the forcing pot off now. My husband had already decided to pick just a few more sticks and then remove it anyway. To be honest I'm feeling just about all rhubarbed out now. ( I grow and he cooks but the freezer is full of rhubarb pies and we've been eating it for what seems like weeks.)

It's a very large plant and the forcer would only fit over part of it anyway. We've recently aquired an extra bit of garden for our vegetables and fruit so some of the roots will be moving into that part and when they are settled in I shall do as you suggest about rotating the forcing.

What a good idea to use the Dalek composter. I've just bought 2 of the extra large square ones. and I have had 2 Daleks standing doing nothing while I've been filling those. I could have put them to good use.

Thanks again,
Jennifer
Geoff
KG Regular

Bugger! Gave my Dalek away as I have six compost bins 4x4x4' and it seemed surplus - great use for it.
Did you buy your Stockbridge Arrow locally or by mail order? I've been looking for some for a while for us and a neighbour who loves rhubarb and has an address of Lower Stockbridge.
Allan
KG Regular

My Stockbridge Arrow was from D T Brown.Avoid winter planting, that's the time that cut roots will rot rather than grow.
John
KG Regular

Hello again Jennifer
I must say you and your DH are very noble making and freezing rhubarb pies. We take the lazy way and slice the extra stuff, bag it up and pop it straight in the freezer - it doesn't seem to need any blanching etc. Orange zest or a little ginger goes well with rhubarb.

Geoff - I got my S. Arrow from from Marshalls several years ago. Most of the autumn catalogues seem to have it. I also have Cawood Delight which has stalks of the deepest red but is no good for forcing.

John

PS If you are breaking up your parent plant in the late Autumn, leave any unwanted roots on the surface to get some serious frosting. Then in late winter you can force it simply by putting it in bin liner with a bit of old potting compost, water it and keep it in a shed or garage to get some really early stalks. Discard it afterwards.
Jennifer
KG Regular

John,
Thanks for the tip for when I move the plant,I shall certainly try that.
I agree with you about freezing the rhubarb and suggested it at the time but as my OH pointed out we get so much fruit later on (strawberries, alpine strawbs, tayberries, raspberries, red, black and a few whitecurrants, cherries, gooseberries, grapes as well as apples, pears and quinces later still)that we shall not have time to do much with it later and this way it will definitely get eaten. And anyway he's the cook so it was his choice.
As you can tell we are hooked on growing things!
Thanks for all the help.
Jennifer
submariner
KG Regular

Try the following web page on rhubarb, it's great.
http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/
Love veg!
Jennifer
KG Regular

What a wonderful site. Just printed off the recipe for rhubarb soup. I've stopped picking mine now so will probably have to wait for next year to try it.
Thanks
jennifer
Anonymous

try keeping it moist
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic