Can Greyhound cabbage withstand mild frosts?

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

vegpatchmum
KG Regular

One of the crops we have growing in the school raised beds (under very fine netting) is Greyhound Cabbage.

This is actually a first time crop for me as we neither have the space nor the netting for brassicas at home - although seeing how relatively compact and lacking in stature these cabbages have been, I'm seriously tempted to splash out on fine netting for next year as I love cabbage.

All 12 plants have produced a lovely cabbage a piece and the parents and staff have certainly not complained about them, so I'm guessing they've been tasty as well :) (unless they're just too polite and well mannered to tell me the truth :shock: ).

We now have only 3 cabbages left and I know that there is a village Sunday Dinner in 2 weeks time and it would be nice to be able to supply the cooks with some produce from the school veg plot, including the cabbages.

And therein lies the crux of this post. With temperatures dropping and ground frosts forecast, would these cabbages survive until they were needed? Or are cabbages not tolerant of frosts?

Thanking you all in advance for the advice I know is just around the corner :)

VPM
x
Monika
KG Regular

I would have thought you would be quite safe leaving the cabbages uncovered, VPM. We have grown Greyhound in the past and they have stood the early frosts very well.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic