Figs

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Beryl
KG Regular

I've been experitmenting with what to do with a glut of figs this year and found they freeze very well in fruit juice. I peeled and cut into chunks, coverd with apple or plum juice which I had kept back form when I stewed them. They are delicious when thawed with a dollop of cream or any of your favourite toppings, ice cream etc.

And fig and red currant jam has been a hit to. The red currants take off the sweetness of the figs.

Both have been given the 'thumbs up' for the future.

Beryl.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Lucky you ! You could also try bottling them in a brandy syrup for classy christmas gifts. :)
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Beryl
KG Regular

Nice idea NB but they are just about finished now. Lots still on the tree but I don't think there is time for them to fill out and ripen. I will have the tedious job of removing them soon.
They really have been the one fruit that has been fantastic this year. No idea why as the lottie is very exposed, maybe it's been all the water. Who Knows?

Beryl.
glallotments
KG Regular

We're trying to decide when figs are ready to pick - any tips?
Beryl
KG Regular

Yes, it found out by trial and error. If you try and pick under ripe, no matter what they will stay hard, so wait till they almost squash in your hand. They will come away from the stalk easily and feel very soft. I grow Brown Turkey and the skins turn a deep purpleish brown when fully ripe.

I did see in the paper Monty Don recommends removing the leaves covering any fruit to aid ripening but I've not tried this as I am alergic to the leaves and have to harvest very carefully.

My main problem is getting to them before the ants. I imagine it is the sweetness that attracts them.

So delicious eaten straight from the tree.

Beryl.
glallotments
KG Regular

Thanks Beryl - hope we get to taste some of ours.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic