Garlic surprise

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

alan refail
KG Regular

I rarely grow garlic and do very little container growing apart from pots of herbs by the kitchen door.

But in February this year we had some very good bought violet garlic which was beginning to sprout. So I put a dozen in a single row in the polytunnel on 14 February. We have just finished eating these as wet garlic. I had another half dozen sprouting and nowhere to put them, so I thought I'd risk putting them all in a single pot in two litres of peat-free compost. They were planted on 27 February and have had no attention except for watering. I unpotted them yesterday and was very surprised to find they had all produced reasonable sized bulbs. Not impressive by the standards of you regular garlic growers, but made me a very happy cook! They won't last long.

Garlleg1.JPG
Garlleg1.JPG (51.59 KiB) Viewed 2522 times
Attachments
Garlleg2.JPG
Garlleg2.JPG (42.65 KiB) Viewed 2522 times
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Tony Hague
KG Regular

See, peat free compost Alan. Works wonders :wink:

My hardneck garlic at the allotment is not much bigger than that this year. The softneck have done OK though, Albigensian wight is my best result.
Westi
KG Regular

Better than mine which is just starting to bulb...but jet stream has moved so I'm remaining optimistic as they are a fair size so long as they keep developing cloves I might be lucky!

Westi
Westi
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

The King of Rocambole.
Allotment, but little achieved.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic