Well at least the Pea harvest has been ok

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Colin_M
KG Regular

Out of a dismal crop of veg so far, the ones that have seemed to thrive on our plot despite the the wet and lack of warmth are:
- Climbing Peas
- Calabrese & Oriental greens

How about the rest of you?
Beryl
KG Regular

I agree with you Colin. My peas, apart from what the squirrels had were excellant and all the brassica's, lettuce,kohl rabi and beetroot. Superb crop of potatoes, haulms all cut down now to protect from any blight, but things that need the sunshine are very slow, tomatoes courgettes, beans.

Beryl.
Colin Miles
KG Regular

Peas likewise reasonably ok though tending to yellow a bit early. But second lot of Mangetout almost a write-off. All haulm and few flowers and even fewer pods and going yellow very quickly. Potatoes look good, but underneath are small, so I hope you haven't cut the haulms down too quickly Beryl.
Beryl
KG Regular

I don't think so Colin. This was just one root of Foremost.

Today I have dug more and the size I really don't want as baking spuds this early in the year.

Beryl.
Attachments
IMG_0921 Foremost.jpg
IMG_0921 Foremost.jpg (25.29 KiB) Viewed 4174 times
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

The peas are doing OK here too, but I've noticed the veg in some parts of the garden are looking a bit undernourished. I think all the rain has washed the nutrients out , so I've put a bit of extra fertilizer round them to give them a boost.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Well I have picked my first tomatoes in the greenhouse, my chillies are turning red, had the first cape gooseberries this week, sweet peppers and cucumbers are coming into fruit. Greens are coming along nicely but the ruby chard seeded quicker than I expected, sweetcorn beginning to shoot away. Apples a dead loss, but grape harvest wonderful in the greenhouse the outdoor grapes from the same old vine are way behind the others. Jostaberry, black and redcurrents - great crops, though soft fruit not liking all this rain. Mushrooms keep popping up in the chicken pen, but don't fancy them cos they poo in there LOL. Onions are slow, autumn sown garlic was very very early, borage is smothered in flowers and the bees love it.The allgold raspberries are tolerating the rain better than the red ones and they cropped very early. Slugs are bu**ers this year, usually the ducks harvest them but this year there is a very bold fox hanging out in our area so I can only let the ducks out of the pen when I can keep an eye on them. Oooh yes nearly forgot, there are 4 peaches om the small peach tree about plum size at the moment. Disapointed there is no fruit on the tamarillo tree, do they take a while to fruit?
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic