Horseradish

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Jude
KG Regular

Does anyone know if horseradish can be frozen and if so how? I've got a large clump that needs sorting out soon. I have pickled it before but it doesn't seem to keep for very long, goes dark in colour and loses it's flavour.
Jude

There are more questions than answers.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Jude,
My wife used to make Horseradish relish for the year and that used to store very well. She would make half a dozen jam pot sized jars and that just about lasted for the year. If we ran out I would pick some fresh and would shred it for an individual meal.
JB.
My method of growing Horseradish is posted somewhere on the forum and a search may reveal it. If not and you are interested please PM me.
Jude
KG Regular

Thanks Johnboy,
I do remember reading about your method of growing and have just been back to have another look.
Still need to know if I can freeze it though, anyone else got any tips?
Jude

FelixLeiter
KG Regular

I'm not certain why you would want to freeze horseradish. I would say bottling it as a sauce is your best approach, especially considering that that's usually the end product. It can be harvested throughout the year, as and when required, although you may not always want to.

Me, I'd leave it until the winter before "sorting it out". That's when the root is fully developed and at its most potent, but it's also when the root is dormant, and in that state it may store well, in the same way you might store carrots, that is, chilled but not frozen, and kept moist. i've tried horseradish dug in the middle of summer, and it's really not very good in my view. I'm also of the opinion that horseradish should not be tampered with too much. it is for sure a persistent and boisterous plant, but it at least is naturally well-behaved, forming a dense clump in time which tends to keep itself within one area. It becomes a nuisance, and can end up where it is not welcome, usually only after some sort of intervention.
Allotment, but little achieved.
Jude
KG Regular

Thanks Felix. I do pretty much leave it alone but the clump is getting too big for it's boots!
I found an American website which has given me ideas for preserving but I think I'll probably just continue to take what I need as and when.
Johnboy, I may try your method if I ever get the time!
Jude

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic