Won't be storing much Fruit!

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Johnboy
KG Regular

I have no Stone Fruit at all this year and no Pears and virtually no Apples and my mid season Yellow Raspberries are rotting rather than ripening and the strawberries are doing the same. I have rigged a mini poly tunnel over the Strawberries and only time will tell if this will be successful. I have cleared all the visible rotting fruits and hope that I will at least get something.
All in all the worst year for gardening I have ever known.
Farming wise it is damn near a disaster year.
JB.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Our farmers called it cropageddon Johnboy. :(
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Beryl
KG Regular

As if we haven't enough to contend with this year, now have fruit bushes being stripped by the 2 legged beasties on our plot.
I had picked all my gooseberries but sadly some hadn't and red/black currants and raspberries are going to.

Leaves a nasty feeling 'cos we always say it is someone on the plot that does it.

Beryl.
The Mouse
KG Regular

That's awful, Beryl. After investing so much time and effort into producing your fruit, it must be heartbreaking when something like that happens :x
Cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education.
Mark Twain
Beryl
KG Regular

I mustn't point the finger Mouse but we do have our suspicions. We will have to be more vigilant for now. It hasn't happended for a good many years so I suppose in that respect we should be thankful.

Beryl.
alan refail
KG Regular

Lost the whole of my plum crop this week. Mind you, it was only one scabby fruit between two trees!
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

We just enjoyed a handfull of morello cherries now finished - last year I moaned there were so many to destone. I counted about fifteen apples growing - last year the neighbours had a gift of a boxful we had so many!
have decided to plant strawberries in the greenhouse border in autumn for next year - this constant rain does them no favours at all !
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Beryl
KG Regular

I managed just 7 Beauty plums today. And that's the toal crop.

Czar and Victoria looking dreadful, what fruit is there is covered in black sooty mould.

All but given up on outdoor tomatoes, even the Ferline are now turning black and will have to come out. But the courgettes never fail, having diffuculty in giving them away now.

Beryl.
Westi
KG Regular

Still nursing my 2 plums through the sunshine & heat. Beauty is going reddish other one is green & hard. Fingers crossed. Who'd ever have thought I'd be so excited from 2 plums! No pears but both russet & red apples have a fair(ish) crop.

Next will be ruddy wasps no doubt!

Westi
Westi
Westi
KG Regular

Only 1 plum left - Beauty has been robbed of her only plum which was just reddening! Deffo going to dig it up and take it home to nuture it more. But blackberries are making me :D !

Westi
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic