Onions Early?!

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Westi
KG Regular

My onions seem to be ahead this year - already had to nip off flower heads, the leaves are beginning to yellow and the skins are going papery. I always misjudge exactly when they are ready and end up with quite a few where they have tried to stalk up which have to be used first. Anyone got any tips to know exactly when to harvest them and any tips to bulk / perk them up a bit at the end?

Westi
Westi
Monika
KG Regular

If they are starting to flower already, perhaps you planted/sowed them too early and they"think" it's been winter already? Unless they are flowering (in which case you should use them rather than try to store them), I would think they will continue to grow. You could buy special onion fertiliser, perhaps that would do the trick!
Westi
KG Regular

They were overwintered so have seen some pretty grim winter weather. The latter sown ones are still quite small. Maybe the first sown are indeed nearly ready?

Westi
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Westi, overwintered onions often do this, especially red ones.
As they often get stressed through Winter and early Spring, and then we get a hot spell, they think there job is done so send up the seed head.

With overwintered ones, you can start using them green, as soon as they are of a usable size.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Westi
KG Regular

Cheers OH!

They are a usable size indeed so think I may start harvesting. It is the red ones that are flowering so may have to start on them. Is it right to say when they flower you may as well get them up as no matter how many flower buds I nip off they still end up with a core in them?

Westi
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

A couple of my red onions have already developed flower stalks and I didn't plant the sets until late March.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Primrose, at lot of Old Codgers have done the same, he is not amused.....
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Monika
KG Regular

Oh, Westi, you didn't say they were overwintering onions! Yes, a few of mine (Radar) are throwing up flower stalks, too, but with overwintering onions I just pull those up which I am likely to use in the next few days and leave the rest in the ground until they have all been used.
Jude
KG Regular

Pulled my first two 'Radar' today to use green, they were huge! A few, but not all, have produced flower stalks.
Jude

There are more questions than answers.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Everything seems earlier, my garlic looks ready too, and I picked a nice bowl of ripe strawberries today! :D
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic