Storing onions

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

FelixLeiter
KG Regular

I wouldn't put this down to onion white root rot. That gets the crop while it is growing. I think the wet late summer was mostly to blame. I wouldn't hurry the ripening of onions if they are to store well. Their going dormant is not encouraged by drying with fans or breaking their roots, and especially not by bending their tops over while they are stlll green — this practice has long been discredited. In fact they will store best if they are left to die down of their own devices. Last year they ripened off very late, and it might be that the time you harvested them in previous years was perhaps just a little too early this last season, which was a late one.
Allotment, but little achieved.
retropants
KG Regular

mine aren't storing too well, about 50% have sprouted, which is most unusual. (cupboard under the stairs is where they are usually stored)
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Retropants, sounds as if they are getting a little warmer than normal.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
retropants
KG Regular

could be as it has not been a very cold winter this year, they are normally fine under there!
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Hmmmm, very interesting reading and got me worried about my first-ever crop of onion and garlic sets planted just a week ago. I did wonder about winter crops and whilst this is not the coldest part of the UK it isn't the green-and-pleasant land for any fanciful reasons of green fields and clear blue skies.

It rains here like the Amazon, mostly sideways.

The onion and garlic are in well-drained beds. "Well drained" now after mixing sand and rotted compost into the clay-like stony soil. Should I cover the onion/garlic beds ? Fleece maybe ?
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Monika
KG Regular

I wouldn't worry, Richard. I always grow overwintering onions and garlic and they have withstood temperatures down to minus 11 here. I do cover them with wire netting to stop the birds from pulling them up, but certainly no weather protection.
farmer jon
KG Regular

Catherine wrote:We got the white rot in the neck of our onions due I think to the wet weather. So we picked them all early and put them in the polytunnel on the racks which we cut the tops of the onions off to about 2 " and then poked them through the mesh racks for a couple of weeks. Then strung them up and put them in the shed. But got caught out with a quick frost in November, which seemed to upset the lot of them. We lost quite a lot of the onions to horrible neck rot, which stinks.

Will do something different this year.

this sounds to me more like the effects of downey mildew. the spores infect the leaves then travel downwards into the neck making them soft & rotten giving off that terrible smell. most white rot i have seen turns the leaves yellow because the roots have been eaten away & the basal plate contains the tell tale white mould with the smell. necks seem to remain ok.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic