Ancient chutney

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Jude
KG Regular

I've still got some red tomato chutney dated 2004. It's shrunk a bit in the jars but still looks and smells fine. Question: will we die if we eat it?!
Jude

There are more questions than answers.
Kleftiwallah
KG Regular

I shouldn't think so, I've cleared a furcoat from the top of a jar before now. . . . I'm still here. Cheers, Tony.
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Jude,
if it is a bit thick for use then warm the contents through in a saucepan with a couple of tablespoons of water. Alternatevly use it to make flavouring for stews. You can also resurrect jam in this fashion.
Regards Sally Wright.
Jude
KG Regular

Thanks both - have done a taste test and am still here! Will try it out on family on Boxing Day :twisted:
Jude

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Jude, it's nice to share...... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Primrose
KG Regular

I've got some rather ancient home made red gooseberry jam in my cupboard rather like this. We don't seem to be able to eat our way through all our home-made preserves quickly enough!.

It's gone pretty solid but I'm using it up by putting a large dessertspoonful of it into my porridge oats before microwaving them. The milk/water loosens it up nicely. Not suggesting that the chutney would have quite the same effect with porridge, but adding some water should work fine. I think the sugar and/or vinegar in these preserves will keep them going for ages.
Kleftiwallah
KG Regular

Made some 'all butter' mince pies using two year old mincemeat of my own manufacture. Pastry was a begger to form but the mincemeat was crackin'. :)

Definitely making some more to be put away for a couple of years to 'mature'. Didn't have that sharp sugary taste of bought stuff.
:wink:

Cheers, Tony.
Tigger2shoes
KG Regular

I make a rule of always testing these things on hubby first if he lives by the next day then I will eat it :wink:
This from some one who had a 12 year old home made jar of mincemeat in the cupboard and used it to make pies last year ....everyone said they were the nicest they had ever had :oops: Think it was because of the brandy in it ....
If I could of done it my way I would of done it by now .......
Marigold
KG Regular

Thanks for this reassurance; I worried about selling some chutney made for last Christmas...
Primrose
KG Regular

I once made a surplus of tomato chutney. It took us about eight years to eat our way through it but the last jar was still fine.
Jude
KG Regular

Well, 2011 has gone and so has the chutney. All still appear to be alive, though rather difficult to tell this morning. Happy New Year everybody!
Jude

retropants
KG Regular

happy new year! I am still eating jam from 2000!!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic