Tasteless sprouts.

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Marigold
KG Regular

Never grown them before; or rather never had them grow well before..a part packet of seed was given..Some are blown but I picked some small ones the other day and was so disappointed.

Someone said they need to rest in the house a couple of days and I remember about them not being good until the first frost, but we did have that a week or three ago.

Picked the bottom ones that were starting to blow..Steamed them too which usually preserves taste.

I was so delighted when they started forming..
Monika
KG Regular

Marigold, I love sprouts, but I think it's as much as what you have with them rather than just the sprouts themselves that make the taste! If they have really blown, don't use them, instead pick some nice tight ones, steam them, then toss in some butter, add plenty of salt and pepper and, if you like, just a small grating of nutmeg - and serve them very hot.

They are also very good in bubble and squeak or sprout and potato soup (with a bit of creme fraiche?).

For the last two years I have grown the variety Cascade and they have been very tasty, even without the butter which I would love to use but am not allowed!
Beryl
KG Regular

I think Monika is right it's what you do with them. Another idea is to finely shred and add to some chopped crispy bacon.

Stir fry with a little orange juice.

I love them just cooked then just stir fry to heat through in a little butter.
Toss in some cooked chestnuts as its Christmas.

Ideas are endless.
Enjoy.
Beryl.
Marigold
KG Regular

Well, no.. I eat very simply from preference and also because I have M.E and there are so many foods and spices etc I cannot take.

I love the vegetables all by themselves. Plain and simple.

Usually they taste of sprouts.. I wonder if I have picked them too small..And blown or not they are still sprouts surely.. lol

The New Zealand Spinach has a wonderful taste as does the kale.

I never cook with butter either for much the same reason. And heaven alone knows when there was last bacon here. Just is beyond our slender means,

Ah well; there is a frost due this weekend so we will try again...Not really important but I just wondered is all.. thank you..
Tony Hague
KG Regular

I would regard tasteless sprouts as a blessing ?
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

Tony Hague wrote:I would regard tasteless sprouts as a blessing ?

Well said. Sprouts are the work of the Devil. If something could be done about the texture, that would help, too. It's funny, I absolutely love broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, kale -- all other Brassicas. But sprouts leave me queasy. I do enjoy growing them, though.
Allotment, but little achieved.
Beryl
KG Regular

I think they are bit like marmite, love 'em or hate 'em.

Beryl.
Marigold
KG Regular

Beryl wrote:I think they are bit like marmite, love 'em or hate 'em.

Beryl.

Which is true of most foods. A family member who had not had broad beans before still calls them "those funny beans..." and has stated she will never eat them again.

I enjoy sprouts when they taste like sprouts.. One of winter's special delights...
Tigger2shoes
KG Regular

I Love Brussels ...... But yes they can be a little bland some times , try cooking in a little veg or chicken stock to add a little flavour. I also slice finely and add to stirfrys.
If I could of done it my way I would of done it by now .......
Marigold
KG Regular

Tigger2shoes wrote:I Love Brussels ...... But yes they can be a little bland some times , try cooking in a little veg or chicken stock to add a little flavour. I also slice finely and add to stirfrys.

I honestly don't see the point if you are going to override a unique taste with other flavours. Mine now taste fine all by themselves, so clearly the old wisdom of wait until after frost is good. Nice strong SPROUT taste when lightly steamed.

But I cannot eat curry etc so have come to appreciate the different flavours for themselves; never use anything but a tiny amount of salt in anything,

Most of the issues re sprouts are because they get overcooked; boiling is not the right way.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

I agree Marigold overcooked they taste like school sprouts and smell disgusting but steamed or cooked in minimal water just slightly undercooked so they still have a little bite they taste great. Fennel seeds, caraway and nutmeg all add a little variety and if you can't add butter a little drizzle of cold pressed olive oil or rapeseed adds some omega three, good for you too.
:D
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Marigold
KG Regular

Nature's Babe wrote:I agree Marigold overcooked they taste like school sprouts and smell disgusting but steamed or cooked in minimal water just slightly undercooked so they still have a little bite they taste great. Fennel seeds, caraway and nutmeg all add a little variety and if you can't add butter a little drizzle of cold pressed olive oil or rapeseed adds some omega three, good for you too.
:D

We add nothing; simply a little salt. It is fine thus.. Simple, peasant food.
glallotments
KG Regular

Maybe the variety of sprouts vary too ours were full of flavour. We grew. Crispus a club root resistant variety that really was club root resistant. If you need proof of that I have a photo of the roots on my blog - see 6 December
alan refail
KG Regular

Beryl wrote:I think they are bit like marmite, love 'em or hate 'em.

Beryl.

I used to think that, and I hated them boiled or steamed whole.

Now I also love them cooked with a little simple imagination. I've put my recipe here

viewtopic.php?p=99407#p99407
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic