Anyone harvesting summer crops still?

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Westi
KG Regular

This mild weather is great. Still harvesting salads, fennel, chilli, peas etc which is kind of weird when doing it alongside leeks, celeraic, parsnips, kale and brussels - all outside unprotected with fleece. There are even some runners, they are a bit stringy but the dogs don't mind.

There has been the odd light frost but in pockets which did not include lottie or home luckily. Of couse I will be a bit late clearing and feeding these beds for overwintering.

Makes a mockery of seasonal recipes :)

Westi
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Westi, just finished the last of the outdoor tomatoes yesterday, but the ones in the greenhouse are still looking very good.
Also picked courgettes yesterday.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Beryl
KG Regular

Still using last of the tomatoes I picked last month, lettuce and beetroot. Mainly on to the winter stuff now.

Beryl.
Johnboy
KG Regular

A picking of peas today. These were on the top of the tall variety Radio that emanate from Clive's stock.
These were picked by a friend as I am a little bit incapacitated at present.
I only ventured outside, against doctors orders, to bathe in the wonderful sunshine that we had this morning. I had no idea that the peas were there. I finished picking the last of the tall peas about 6 weeks ago.
JB.
Primrose
KG Regular

Just picked a small handful of Autumn Bliss raspberries and a couple of ripe strawberries, but they really were the end of the road.
Gerry
KG Regular

The first daffodil was out two days ago here....January Gold.

Regards, Gerry.
Geoff
KG Regular

Cut the grass today, is that a summer crop?
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I've had a very enjoyable gardening day, mowed the lawns, and ate 6 strawberries and four raspberries outside and found a couple of cape gooseberries ripe in the greenhouse. The weather is making up for last year's horrible winter (so far).
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Hi Plumpudding, yes. Still picking outdoor grapes and outdoor cucumbers, some cape gooseberries, a few allgold raspberries and achocha and harvested the last squash fairly recently, nasturtiums, marigolds and borage are still floweering, and my pineapple sage has produced a beautiful red flower this late! It attracted a butterfly today, it flew off when disturbed, a red admiral I think.
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Compo
KG Regular

Yes still picking, Sungold tomatoes in the unheated allotment greenhouse (and there are more green ones in there which I hope will turn gold before the end of the month...... I was thinking of putting some tin foil around the plant to aid ripening, just a wacky idea I had but who knows?

Also little gem lettuce under cloches till coming, and when I took down the sweet peas from their netting there was one still i flower

Lots of Tagetes in flower, and someone has apple blossom, half a dozen autumn raspberries, and yes the grass wants a final cut.

For me this is making any winter we have that much shorter. Enjoying it whilst I can!!

CoMpO
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
Chantal
KG Regular

I picked the last of the allotment tomatoes a week ago and am still picking from the unheated (and no door!) greenhouse in the garden.

Autumn raspberries are still going, but I am leaving them for the birds now.
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Primrose
KG Regular

I've got some really nice endive and hot spicy salad leaves sown in September under cloches that I'm still picking.
Yesterday I picked half a dozen Autumn Bliss raspberries but they didn't have much flavour.
alan refail
KG Regular

I shall be picking some Dedo de Moça chillies today - on Christmas day? Can't believe it :roll:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10290
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I've got on big, fat strawberry that i'm going to pick later, probably be as bitter as anything, but still quite surprising.

Now which one of the many dinner guest shall i present it to! :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Westi
KG Regular

Went down to the greeenhouse to bring some spuds in for today and thought I'd prop up some canes that had blown down behind the greenhouse - and found a sweet pepper on a real bedrangled plant. Fairly small but going red - that's going in tomorrow's salad!

Westi
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic