What's the secret of tasty sweetcorn

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Colin_M
KG Regular

Most of the varieties I've tried in recent years have been delicious. But as the old gardening adage goes, if you don't use them quickly after harvesting, their flavour starts to fade. Ones I've frozen also aren't quite so good.

By comparison, ones we've bought from the shops this year seem tasty (and must be several days old).

Is this down to any particular varieties they're using or am I just imagining this :oops:
Beryl
KG Regular

I think Sun and plenty of water is the answer and we've not had much of either this year.

I did well with the mini-cobs but then I sowed and havested early to beat the badgers.

Beryl.
Colin_M
KG Regular

Does anyone else think that home grown cobs don't keep as long as shop bought ones?
Beryl
KG Regular

Don't know. I've never bought them from a shop. Long ago in the days before the lottie we did used to go and 'pick our own' . But then what we didn't used straight away got frozen.

Beryl.
Colin_M
KG Regular

Well, we bought some from T*scos last week & didn't get round to eating them till a week later.

These too tasted pretty dull (and they have been fine in previous weeks) so maybe it's just that the supermarkets are also quick to get them on the shelves.

The only thing that got me thinking about this in the first place is the old adage about taking a pan of boiling water down to the garden to put the cobs straight in. Exaggerated I know, but I've seen this so many times.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Colin,
The way to cook it is that you wait in the kitchen until the pan is boiling then rush down the garden pick your cob and as you rush back you peel it and rush into the kitchen and throw the cob in the pan! Mmmmmm!
That was one of Lawrence D. Hills jokes and his way of saying Sweet Corn should be eaten as soon as it is picked if possible. :wink:
JB.
John
KG Regular

We don't use any salt in the cooking water as it tends to toughen the cobs.
They also cook well when nuked in the microwave - wrapped in greaseproof paper parcel.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic