Red Chard

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Urban Fox
KG Regular

We had a nice day out at Osterly park last week and they have a lovely walled kitchen garden.

They had red chard dotted around. The bright red stems agains the dark green leaf looked so beautiful. So, I was thinking of growing some next year.

But, I've never eaten chard before. :? So, I was wondering - what does it taste like and how do you cook it?

Christina
Monika
KG Regular

It's an acquired taste, Christina, sort of earthy spinach-like. You can cook the leaf part and the ribs separately like, say, spinach and asparagus. I can't say I like it very much and my OH can't stand the taste, but, no doubt, others will sing its praises. If you want to try it, I would start with a small patch, in case it's not to your liking!
alan refail
KG Regular

Hi Christina

If you like the taste of soil, you'll like chard :wink: Like Monika I find it very unpleasant. The very young leaves are acceptable in a mixed salad, but cooked it is a mixture of fibrous and slimy, with that oppressive earthy taste,
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Morning Alan, that's what i like about you, always straight to the point. :)

It certainly doesn't sound very appetizing.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
adam-alexander
KG Regular

I grow the white stemmed, Swiss Chard. As noted above, the leaves can be a bit earthy and bitter - but the broad white stems, braised in a little butter and stock, then served with grated Parmesan (or similar cheese) a small queeze of lemon and a dusting of parsley - Mmmmmmm.

Please also see my post some time back for Swiss Chard and green bean soup.

a-a
Urban Fox
KG Regular

"fibrous and slimy, with that oppressive earthy taste,"

Alan - you don't have a part time job for the chard marketing board do you? :lol:

maybe I'll take Monika's advice and just grow a small amount.

thanks
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I agree with the comments on the flavour of the red stemmed and highly coloured chard, but I find the white stemmed variety "Silver Leaf 2" from Mr. Fothergill seeds much pleasanter. The green can be substituted for spinach or any other greens (nice with a bit of melted butter and black pepper or nutmeg) and the stems chopped and used in stews or stir fries. If you cover it with a cloche it will keep producing most of the winter, have a little rest and then start up again in spring, so it is a very useful winter veg.

When I grew the Bright Lights mix of colours they looked beautiful and the ones with pale pink stems had an acceptable flavour too.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic