Help! Knee deep in apples...

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Marigold
KG Regular

Well, our landlord arrived with two more large sacks ( cattle feed sacks}of windfall apples... we could not refuse lest we lose offers of fruit for our jams next year...

He is probably clearing up his orchard and it is kindly meant of course.

I cannot possibly process these....still have some of the first sack and they are mostly damaged so will not keep.. The Catshead we picked from elsewhere are fine and perfect. And will keep for us.

There is a largish patch now under black plastic; can I simply put the apples on the soil under there? Cannot leave them where they may be seen of course.. Assuming they will rot down over the winter?
Urban Fox
KG Regular

I noticed the allotment holder a few rows down from me has chopped up a lot of windfall apples and put them on the soil surface - I guess the worms will dig them in.

I have a wormery so, I'm putting chapped up bruised windfalls in the bin for them.

alternatively you could dig a bean trench which would help to hide them :wink:

[url]http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/growfruitandveg_growingbeans1.shtml[/url]

Christina
Kleftiwallah
KG Regular

Could you put an enquiry / advert in a local paper to ask if there is a 'cider making group' in your area? There may be, they tend to keep themselves to themselves. Best of luck, Cheers, Tony.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic