Is Vegetarianism cruel?

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Colin Miles
KG Regular

NB - from my understanding they are the least invasive of the Comfrey varieties. Grow anything else and you will be swamped. But if your observations are correct and this variety has indeed set seed due to Climate Change then this is a potentially worrisome development and you should inform the appropriate authorities.

And apologies to the moderators if we are deviating too far off topic as I have another question/request to make to NB. Could you possibly tell me exactly where you are? As you have probably gathered, I am something of a weather-nut and micro-climates do interest me.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Hi Colin, well the seedlings were in one of my raised beds two or three metres away from the comfrey. I also spotted one in my neighbours garden.
Re micro climate -
We're not far from Romney Marsh where PJ has his allotment, I am in Peasmarsh, one third way down a valley with hills on all sides, often we see rainclouds all around us on the horizon but blue sky above. He finds the same, often rainclouds on his horizon towards folkstone but any rain often seems to skirt right round us both. :(
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Parsons Jack
KG Regular

Nature's Babe wrote:Hi Colin, well the seedlings were in one of my raised beds two or three metres away from the comfrey. I also spotted one in my neighbours garden.
Re micro climate -
We're not far from Romney Marsh where PJ has his allotment, I am in Peasmarsh, one third way down a valley with hills on all sides, often we see rainclouds all around us on the horizon but blue sky above. He finds the same, often rainclouds on his horizon towards folkstone but any rain often seems to skirt right round us both. :(

When I checked Accuweather this morning, we were supposed to have rain at mid-day, 2pm,3pm, and again this evening.
It has been bright blue sky all day again :lol:
They now say it will rain tomorrow. We will see :roll:
Cheers PJ.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long...........
peter
KG Regular

Colin Miles wrote:
Peter wrote
"Exrement:" hmm never really believe a scientific article where they can't spell.

Excrement. :wink:

Does that apply to the KG Mag and Forum? :?

No just the link about steak.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

PJ I will believe it when I see it :roll: :lol:
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Well at last steady rain today, just what we needed, I do hope you are getting some too PJ ... it should help those watering can arms, how far do they stretch now? :wink:
By Thomas Huxley
Parsons Jack
KG Regular

Nature's Babe wrote:Well at last steady rain today, just what we needed, I do hope you are getting some too PJ ... it should help those watering can arms, how far do they stretch now? :wink:

Hi NB,

Yes, the rain started about 9 am and is still going strong :D

I managed to get the grass cut on the plot before it started thankfully. Quite a pleasure not to have to carry numerous cans of water today :)
Cheers PJ.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long...........
Colin Miles
KG Regular

NB - coming back to the original thread - we have been very naughty in digressing! - if I am really honest I have to confess that I didn't really understand your post

Obviously a pattern through all life, and always assuming that the 50% had not been genetically altered, interesting and mindboggling to consider what effect on this system of unity and interdependence interspecies gene splicing and terminator gene technology will possibly have ...... ?

and maybe my attempt at an answer was a big too glib. Exactly what did you mean by the terms interdependence interspecies gene splicing and terminator gene technology and how to you think this might affect life? And will it make vegetarianism any less cruel?
Stephen
KG Regular

:? Sorry I'm puzzled.
Why ask the question?
Those of us who are vegetarians have chosen that diet for a variety of reasons. I certainly don't challenge those who choose a different diet to justify their choice and I rather resent being challenged on mine (not personally but as one member of the subset being debated). I appreciate that other vegetarians may not wish me to speak on theor behalf.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Colin Miles
KG Regular

Never mind Stephen - August - silly season :wink:
Mike Vogel
KG Regular

Quote:
All life is one. We share the same DNA code with the lowliest animals and plants and many of the same genes. Indeed, we could swop 50% of our genes with a banana and we would still be human and the banana would still be a banana – always assuming that we got the right 50%.

Isn't this as much an argument for cannibalism as for not eating vegetables?

I'd also argue that the chemical signals from flowers are not necessarily evidence of sentience. They need tpo be show by the accompaniment of emotion and even the experiment cited by NB doesn't necessarily show this.
Please support Wallace Cancer Care
http://www.wallacecancercare.org.uk
and see
http://www.justgiving.com/mikevogel

Never throw anything away.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

I agree with Stephen, as a vegetarian I never criticise meat eaters and am tolerant enough to cook meat if that is what they wish to eat, in our family some are vegetarian and some are meat eaters, so at family gatherings both veggie and meat dishes grace the table. It is simply a matter of personal choice, If challenged I will explain why I made that choice, otherwise it's live and let live as far as I'm concerned, as we all have to eat something to survive. :)
PS It was Gallotments who cited the flowers experiment not me. :)
By Thomas Huxley
Stephen
KG Regular

Colin
If I have suffered from sense of humour failure - I'm sorry.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Colin Miles
KG Regular

Stephen - no worries. Nice to know I may have been too convincing.
glallotments
KG Regular

Mike Vogel wrote:Quote:
I'd also argue that the chemical signals from flowers are not necessarily evidence of sentience. They need tpo be show by the accompaniment of emotion and even the experiment cited by NB doesn't necessarily show this.

Yes it was me and I was just making a comment for discussion - I didn't draw any conclusions from it but merely left it there for people to make of it what they would!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic