Harvesting maincrop potatoes

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

hilary
KG Regular

Hi,
Unbelievably after the dry spring the potatoes I am digging are big and a good crop. My question is the Sarpo Mira planted on 16th April are starting to go yellow with brown spots - since I have a good crop underneath should I cut off the haulms leave for a couple of weeks and then dig? It just seems to be too early to dig them up and they will have to store a long time. The rain in July must have arrived at just the right time.
The Pink Fir Apple and International Kidney are still green and growing well. Kestrel over and finished and in sacs in the garage.
Hilary
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Hilary, it's a good idea to do exactly that.
Just make sure the skins have set when lifting, as they keep so much better.

Just one thing that can alter that advice is, if the potatoes are starting to suffer from slug damage. The only real way of checking for that is to lift a root and have a look.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
hilary
KG Regular

HI OH,
Thanks - no slug damage so far but will keep on checking. I will go and cut the tops off since I doubt if the tubers will grow much more.
Hilary
glallotments
KG Regular

We have been surprised at the potato crop we have dug up so far. The tops started well but then seemed to stop due to lack of moisture so we didn't expect anything below ground!

If your potatoes seem to have been attacked by blight it is always good to leave a week or so before lifting the tubers after cutting back the tops. That way the tubers are less likely to become blight infected.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic